My Jeep Compass Forum banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was thinking about how we have a lot of road trips coming up in the next 30 days, at least 4000 miles worth, and I was on the fence about going for an oil change while it was nice out and I had the time. It would be interesting sometime to send off a sample at an oil change and have it tested to see how much gas/moisture contamination is there.
We are also coming up on a 1,200 mile road trip and by then it should be time to change the oil. Our consumption seems to have slowed down from 1qt/2,500 miles to about 10oz/2,500miles (holding steady at 3/4 full). Hoping to not add any on this trip so I can send in a sample for testing. Along with gas/moisture results, the TBN should be really high on Pennzoil Platinum with only a 5K run …

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you set the bar low enough its not hard to make the standard.

@Tripod and @arudlang, regarding loose oil filters, whenever I've changed my filter I've just gone to snug then 1/4 turn more. I don't want to wrinkle the gasket which can happen if its too tight. I've never had a leaky filter, but a few times I was surprised how loose it was -- still, it wasn't leaking.
I dont think you can over tighten an oil filter without using any tools. I have heard people doing it with a belt wrench, but doing it wilt hands alone would require serious strength :).

·
Super Moderator
1,196 Posts
I dont think you can over tighten an oil filter without using any tools. I have heard people doing it with a belt wrench, but doing it wilt hands alone would require serious strength :).
I'd never use a wrench to tighten an oil filter. Anything I tighten, I tighten lefty so I can get it off with my right.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Do nitrile gloves count as a tool? I cranked my last one on pretty hard with two hands expecting the gloves to slip (had a little oil on them) but they gripped tight and before I knew it I was like "wow I really twisted that sucker on there, hope it will be ok ..."

I'll check it later. This one I will for sure get a chance to inspect for any "loosening" from hot/cold cycles because I am going to flip a new filter on right before we leave on the 3500 mile trip in about 30 days. I wouldn't normally but I had to settle for a mid-grade filter on the last oil change due to available stock so I just don't want to run that one very long. I have a premium+ one ready to go on-hand now.

·
Super Moderator
1,196 Posts
It wasn't me, but once I had a dealer tighten the filter so tight on my '77 Volare that I couldn't get it off. I ended up jamming a screwdriver through it and that gave me enough leverage to loosen it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Jasmine said:
It wasn't me, but once I had a dealer tighten the filter so tight on my '77 Volare that I couldn't get it off. I ended up jamming a screwdriver through it and that gave me enough leverage to loosen it.
Oofta. I did that once (to myself), oil filters did not loosen with heat/cool cycles on my old chevy blazer, they only cooked themselves on harder and harder, and if you put them on tight to start with... they don't come off. I tried the screwdriver stabby trick, but the cheap fram filter just tore all the way around like a pop can :( I won't use fram anymore, not even on my lawn mower.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In a few weeks we will be making a run from Minnesota to Washington state and back, about 3500 miles. It will be interesting to see if it uses any on that trek. I expect by the time we are partway home it will be asking for an oil change, since the computer still thinks the last oil change was back at 24k. That should work out well.
We made it back from vacation last week. 1,165 miles round trip, that puts us at 9,065 miles on the OD. Oil level dropped very little and now measures 5/8 full instead of 3/4 full. It was a 9 hour trip from Louisiana to Florida along I-10 and managed 34mpg @ 70-75 and 30mpg @ 75-80mph on safer stretches, I’m really happy with these numbers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have the same problem! Purchased car in October of 2018. First started stalling out around 2500 miles anytime my wife would make a turn. When I called dealership - they immediately told me to bring it in for an oil change. My reply to them was "you told me I could go 7000-10000 because its synthetic".

I was pretty pissed - but it did stop the car from stalling. We proceeded with the oil consumption test - which as i suspected, showed nothing and was a big waste of my time.

Its been a year - and we are burning through oil changes - dealing with FCA Customer Care - and my wife just doesn't want to drive this car anymore.

Unfortunately - we did buy it, and FCA hasn't offered to buy the vehicle back.

Reading these comments, I am very concerned that they are waiting for us to hit 36k miles so they can claim the warranty has expired.

·
Super Moderator
1,196 Posts
We have the same problem! Purchased car in October of 2018. First started stalling out around 2500 miles anytime my wife would make a turn. When I called dealership - they immediately told me to bring it in for an oil change. My reply to them was "you told me I could go 7000-10000 because its synthetic".

I was pretty pissed - but it did stop the car from stalling. We proceeded with the oil consumption test - which as i suspected, showed nothing and was a big waste of my time.

Its been a year - and we are burning through oil changes - dealing with FCA Customer Care - and my wife just doesn't want to drive this car anymore.

Unfortunately - we did buy it, and FCA hasn't offered to buy the vehicle back.

Reading these comments, I am very concerned that they are waiting for us to hit 36k miles so they can claim the warranty has expired.
I've probably posted in this thread before, but I'll say it again. I had a 2018 Compass that used a lot of oil in the first 10,000 miles, but gradually decreased till at 30,000 I was getting 3000/qt. Not what I'd expect but I could cope with it at that level.

After the 2018 got wrecked I got a 2019 and I've kept a close eye on the oil level. It used 1/2 quart in the first 5000 miles (about what I'd expect from any new engine) and none since. We took it to Virginia on vacation earlier this month and it used no oil at all. I'm now at 12,000 miles. Big difference between the 2018 and the 2019. Whether FCA admits it or not, I think they made a significant engineering change in these 2.4 engines. Hard to believe those two engines were identical. Also for all the talk about looser tolerances to reduce internal friction, my 2019 (that doesn't use oil) has averaged 1.9 MPG better over the 12,000 miles I've had it. That's huge, especially considering my 2019 has more gizmos than my 2018.

As for you my friend, you'll have to do what I was doing: check the oil with every fill-up and be ready to add as needed.

FYI, you don't have to change the oil every time it gets low, just add enough to get it to the top of the hash marks on the dip stick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Compass Sport 4x4. I bought it with 11 miles on it. I now have 1,200 miles and just had to add a half quart. I am hoping this is not a sign of things to come. I check my oil religiously, so I will do what I can to stay on top of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Jeep Compass shut off about 2 months ago without any warning due to the oil consumption issue. About 3 weeks later my brothers did the same thing. From what i can tell this is an issue prevalent in all new compasses. (2017 -current) I’ve started a petition for Chrysler to recall the engines. I’d appreciate everyone’s support. I’m sure you’re just as angry about this as i am. I’ll leave the link to change.org in the comments. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Jeep Compass shut off about 2 months ago without any warning due to the oil consumption issue. About 3 weeks later my brothers did the same thing. From what i can tell this is an issue prevalent in all new compasses. (2017 -current) I’ve started a petition for Chrysler to recall the engines. I’d appreciate everyone’s support. I’m sure you’re just as angry about this as i am. I’ll leave the link to change.org in the comments. Thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
1,196 Posts
I doubt the problem is prevalent enough to get a recall. This is a forum with thousands of member and only 48 participants on this thread. This is a site where people bring their problems and even then we're talking a small fraction of <1%. That would be evidence enough for FCA to say, "See, its a tiny, tiny problem. We'll take care of them on an as-needed basis." Indeed, some on this site have gotten new engines so we can't say they're turning a deaf ear. Maybe your dealer is, but there is evidence that Jeep is doing something about it. There could be other more likely solutions (cf. my other post on your petition thread).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I doubt the problem is prevalent enough to get a recall. This is a forum with thousands of member and only 48 participants on this thread. This is a site where people bring their problems and even then we're talking a small fraction of <1%. That would be evidence enough for FCA to say, "See, its a tiny, tiny problem. We'll take care of them on an as-needed basis." Indeed, some on this site have gotten new engines so we can't say they're turning a deaf ear. Maybe your dealer is, but there is evidence that Jeep is doing something about it. There could be other more likely solutions (cf. my other post on your petition thread).
Unfortunately, most of us don’t check our oil on a regular basis. I didn’t realize that my Jeep had an issue until it shut off in the middle of driving. I don’t think dealerships are making an effort to inform customers about the consumption issue during oil changes. They didn’t with me. I think that this issue is much more prevalent than you think. Perhaps it would be worth creating a thread requesting that Jeep Compass owners check their oil and report how many miles it’s been since their last oil change and how low their oil is. I’ll see if I can’t get any traction with that. It would be good to have more evidence for sure. The biggest issue for me is that vehicles are shutting down without warning and that this could lead to lives being lost. The ethical thing to do would be to recall the engines, at the very least to call customers in for an oil consumption test to check and make sure it’s not an issue. Simply put, i don’t want anyone’s lives to be put in danger because no action was taken.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree it is sporadic too. I've seen alot of reports of the issue with Renegades also. Funny enough my MIL has an 18 Renegade with the 2.4l and no issues. However, some people are just not used to having to check their oil and simply assume all is fine and they don't check it and end up stalling and causing more damage. I've read (I have no clue if this is true) once all the oil runs out and the engine stalls, the chances of it happening again increase. On the other hand, I have read about people checking and topping off consistently and the engines slowly stops consuming oil. Perhaps if the dealers did make consumers aware of a potential issue, they would pay more attention and actually check oil levels to get ahead of potential issues. Alot just assume it is new and there should be nothing else to do except change the oil and rotate the tires.

·
Super Moderator
163 Posts
...Perhaps if the dealers did make consumers aware of a potential issue, they would pay more attention and actually check oil levels to get ahead of potential issues...
That would be a good start.

But to be honest, I'm not sure how I would have reacted if, while the salesman was going over the features of the vehicle, he would have said "Oh by the way you better keep an eye on the oil level, some of these engines need several quarts added between oil changes."

Also I'm not sure how much it would help, I keep reading again and again on several forums of people who are aware of the issue, but allow their oil level to get low enough multiple times, to cause their engine to stall.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That would be a good start.

But to be honest, I'm not sure how I would have reacted if, while the salesman was going over the features of the vehicle, he would have said "Oh by the way you better keep an eye on the oil level, some of these engines need several quarts added between oil changes."

Also I'm not sure how much it would help, I keep reading again and again on several forums of people who are aware of the issue, but allow their oil level to get low enough multiple times, to cause their engine to stall.
I agree. Dealers are out for a sale. Perhaps making it apart of the manual (make sure to check oil x amount per week) or something along those lines. Its a double edge sword situation. FCA could be better about communicating about possible issues and people should be checking the oil. My 2020 was 1/2 quart low at 1,200 miles on the motor. I checked it, caught it, topped it off, and I will continue to monitor and record. Yes. Same thing. It keeps happening over and over, thus it has to be continually damaging the engine if it is being ran without oil multiple times.

·
Super Moderator
163 Posts
...Perhaps making it apart of the manual (make sure to check oil x amount per week) or something along those lines...
It is in the Users Guide and Owners Manual:
To assure proper engine lubrication, the engine oil must be maintained at the correct level. Check the oil level at regular intervals, such as every fuel stop.
But it should also be mentioned in the Quick Reference, that's probably about all many owners read.

Another idea might be to have a message pop up occasionally in the cluster or on the radio screen, something like:
Have you checked your oil lately?
Low oil can cause sudden stalling.
II don't think it would be any more annoying than warning for possible ice on roads.

·
Registered
16 Posts

But it should also be mentioned in the Quick Reference, that's probably about all many owners read.

Another idea might be to have a message pop up occasionally in the cluster or on the radio screen, something like:

II don't think it would be any more annoying than warning for possible ice on roads.
Ye

Awesome idea actually. That ice warning cracks me up sometimes.

141 - 160 of 190 Posts