My Jeep Compass Forum banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
764 Posts
I don’t think dealerships are making an effort to inform customers about the consumption issue during oil changes.
My sales rep told me to check my oil because "these new engines use a lot." What I heard is New engines use a lot of oil, and that I knew. With 20/20 hindsight, I should have heard These new type engines will continue to use a lot of oil for a long time to come, maybe forever. Its kinda like the transmission maintenance schedule. Most people don't think their CVT is being used in severe service but if you read the fine print, below 32F qualifies a CVT for more frequent tranny service.

If there was a warning in the owners manual it would be lost in the 10,000 pages of other information.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My sales rep told me to check my oil because "these new engines use a lot." What I heard is New engines use a lot of oil, and that I knew. With 20/20 hindsight, I shoul have heard These new type engines will continue to use a lot of oil for a long time to come, maybe forever. Its kinda like the transmission maintenance schedule. Most people don't think their CVT is being used in severe service but if you read the fine print, below 32F qualifies a CVT for more frequent tranny service.

If there was a warning in the owners manual it would be lost in the 10,000 pages of other information.
All I got was, you know all of these new vehicles, they don't build them like they used to. I took that as, keep an eye on everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow is all I can say that they knew about this back in 2017. I was never told about a high oil consumption and ran dry also after a short time.Had my first change at 5000 km / warranty to switch it once broken in and was scheduled for another change in a few days when all of a sudden my warning came on Saturday while wife was driving gong around a corner. Next day I took it out to go shopping up the road and my way back it did it again as I turned a corner but this time the car died. Took it in the next day and was told finally about some problems with these cars. Now my car is noisy and I have to return it every 1000 km for them to check to see if it fits into their guideline of 3200 km and then you need to top it off with .946 of synthetic oil. I love jeeps but with the cost of synthetic change 40% more then conventional oil the times were suppose to be longer in between changes thats why we switched but alas no such luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am one of the more fortunate ones that so far is getting about 5000 miles per quart. However I agree that having your vehicle quit while driving is a safety issue. At least notify current owners to check their oil more frequently and provide information as to what is causing this. Surely a major automotive manufacturer can figure this out. If vehicles stop on a major highway and they get hit from behind and someone dies, the litigation costs are going to be huge especially if they knew there was a problem and did not come forward.

·
Registered
69 Posts
...and also I think they fixed it in the 2019 models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just over 17,000 miles on my 2019 Trailhawk and my oil has never dropped below the top of the hash marks. I either got lucky or they made a change for the 2019 model year.

·
764 Posts
I either got lucky or they made a change for the 2019 model year.
They'll never admit it for liability reasons, but I bet you're right. Besides dealer information they have people that monitor these forums and they've probably picked up enough flack that the problem is (finally) being addressed. Even if its only a minority of 2.4s that have this problem, its a significant minority. As I said above, my 2019 is fine, but my 2018 had an appetite for oil.

·
Registered
824 Posts
As I said on the other thread, just because any one of you have one normal car not burning oil is purely anecdotal and does not support the notion that FCA has changed anything. The math is real simple folks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. 2017 Jeep Compass Limited Owner. Purchased the vehicle brand new while being Active Duty Army in Washington DC. Due to me being a resident in California, I am now dealing with California dealership in regards to oil consumption issues and Command center aka the radio consistently glitching.

My oil consumption issue started just before 32,000 miles. I was able to document there was oil consumption before the engine blew out on me driving 65+ miles on the Los Angeles freeways. Luckily I was able to pull over and have customer care tow my vehicle to the closest dealership. During this time I was in the process of moving north bound 2 hours. When the vehicle was complete, I picked up and asked the service manager if the engine was new or refurbished. He said is was new and that I practically had a " Brand new vehicle". I looked at him crazy because if the engine was having oil consumption issue and not reflect that- there was more damage done to the vehicle than actually fixed with a new engine.

fast forward to today, January 15, 3 months after engine replacement, it is now stalling and not reflecting AT ALL that an oil change is needed or low oil. I have the Fidelity Warranty plan for 7 years or 70,000 miles that practically covers everything. ( It is the highest plan you can get). The new dealership I took it too, is saying they can't fix any of the issues I'm having because they can't mimic the issue and there are no codes showing during diagnostic. I told them I didn't feel comfortable and preferred for them to keep the vehicle to do the diagnostic themselves. My vehicle has been there for over two weeks at this point and they said there is nothing they can do. Picking up my car tomorrow because they said If i don't come get it they will put a lien on it. Has any one else had this issue. How can they put a lien on it when payments are up to date?

·
Registered
824 Posts
June said:
Hello. 2017 Jeep Compass Limited Owner. Purchased the vehicle brand new while being Active Duty Army in Washington DC. Due to me being a resident in California, I am now dealing with California dealership in regards to oil consumption issues and Command center aka the radio consistently glitching.

My oil consumption issue started just before 32,000 miles. I was able to document there was oil consumption before the engine blew out on me driving 65+ miles on the Los Angeles freeways. Luckily I was able to pull over and have customer care tow my vehicle to the closest dealership. During this time I was in the process of moving north bound 2 hours. When the vehicle was complete, I picked up and asked the service manager if the engine was new or refurbished. He said is was new and that I practically had a " Brand new vehicle". I looked at him crazy because if the engine was having oil consumption issue and not reflect that- there was more damage done to the vehicle than actually fixed with a new engine.

fast forward to today, January 15, 3 months after engine replacement, it is now stalling and not reflecting AT ALL that an oil change is needed or low oil. I have the Fidelity Warranty plan for 7 years or 70,000 miles that practically covers everything. ( It is the highest plan you can get). The new dealership I took it too, is saying they can't fix any of the issues I'm having because they can't mimic the issue and there are no codes showing during diagnostic. I told them I didn't feel comfortable and preferred for them to keep the vehicle to do the diagnostic themselves. My vehicle has been there for over two weeks at this point and they said there is nothing they can do. Picking up my car tomorrow because they said If i don't come get it they will put a lien on it. Has any one else had this issue. How can they put a lien on it when payments are up to date?

161 - 173 of 173 Posts