My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my monthly vehicle health report it indicated that there was a recall issued. Clicked on the link and it states that it is for oil consumption on the 2.4 and will be fixed with a computer flash lol

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
On my monthly vehicle health report it indicated that there was a recall issued. Clicked on the link and it states that it is for oil consumption on the 2.4 and will be fixed with a computer flash lol
Placebo effect? Maybe they'll develop a computer flash to fix flat tires, too. :LOL:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's the letter. It's not a recall, it's a 'campaign' LOL.

I fail to see how reprogramming the PCM will do anything to alter the oil consumption. More likely it's to lower the threshold for a low oil light or reduce the interval for recommending an oil change. Just silly ...

"If left unaddressed, a low oil condition can eventually result in a vehicle stall."
aka SIEZED ENGINE..

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
All cynicism aside, at least they are acknowledging the problem and not just saying "it's normal." Maybe they can make a low oil warning appear on the dashboard. People who drive new cars usually ignore the dipstick so a warning light would be helpful. Those of us who have or have had older vehicles know to check the dipstick on a regular basis.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here's the letter. It's not a recall, it's a 'campaign' LOL.

I fail to see how reprogramming the PCM will do anything to alter the oil consumption. More likely it's to lower the threshold for a low oil light or reduce the interval for recommending an oil change. Just silly ...

"If left unaddressed, a low oil condition can eventually result in a vehicle stall."
aka SIEZED ENGINE..
I think that perhaps rather than have the engine seize up they shut down the motor when the oil pressure goes to zero.

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
I think that perhaps rather than have the engine seize up they shut down the motor when the oil pressure goes to zero.
The lifters use the motor oil. If they can't get oil they don't lift. The engine can't run if the valves don't open.

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
I wonder if this is why the "voluntary" campaign? Fiat Chrysler Facing Class Action Over Alleged Engine Oil Consumption Defect The defect doesn't bother me as much as FCA's knowing the problem and doing their best to conceal it or call it "normal" when anyone who knows anything about cars knows it's darn well not. That's pretty well stated in the lawsuit. What they call "variances" are probably due to looser tolerances. It only takes a couple thousandths to be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
228 Posts
Thanks for the link.

Did anyone else notice the only Compasses it applies to is the 2018 model year?

I also noticed the "Customer Satisfaction Notification" number is W20, it would have been more fitting if it had been 0W20.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yeah its strange that it excludes 2017.5, I logged into the Mopar owners site and did the VIN recall check and came up with nothing for my 2017.5 Limited. Lucky mine doesn't have the oil burning issue looks like I'd still be left up the creek without a paddle.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
228 Posts
...I logged into the Mopar owners site and did the VIN recall check and came up with nothing for my 2017.5 Limited...
As @FearlessFreep said, it's not a recall, it's a "Customer Satisfaction Notification" so it won't show up on the NHTSA website as a recall. It may eventually show up in the "Manufacture Communications" section on the NHTSA website.

I'm curious what the the update to the PCM software does "that will address the manufacturing variances that could lead to an abnormal use of excessive oil."

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
As @FearlessFreep said, it's not a recall, it's a "Customer Satisfaction Notification" so it won't show up on the NHTSA website as a recall.
As I said, I went to the Mopar owner's site (not NHTSA) where my car is registered and has been since I bought it, and although I did use the word "Recall" because that is the name of the link/page on the website it shows both recalls and campaigns, of which there are still none of either for my car:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2018 compass limited and have had the issue with my Jeep starting before my very first oil change, here we are 2 yrs. later and my compass is finally in the shop having a new engine put in. I’m just disappointed that it took this long with many visits to the dealer to finally fix it. I almost feel like they waited long enough that it wouldn’t qualify for the lemon law due to mileage.

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
I own a 2018 compass limited and have had the issue with my Jeep starting before my very first oil change, here we are 2 yrs. later and my compass is finally in the shop having a new engine put in. I’m just disappointed that it took this long with many visits to the dealer to finally fix it. I almost feel like they waited long enough that it wouldn’t qualify for the lemon law due to mileage.
Welcome JP0013! Nice to have you on the site.

I wonder why they didn't do the aforementioned software update? This thread started with discussion about what I think is either a panacea or a placebo that Jeep is offering. However, I think you're getting what you probably need: a new engine. At least they're doing something for you. I think your dealer deserves some of the credit -- they probably went to bat for you. I hope the new engine proves to be better.

FYI, I said elsewhere on this site that I had a 2018 that was an oil burner; after it was wrecked I got a 2019 and this one has been fine.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
FYI, I said elsewhere on this site that I had a 2018 that was an oil burner; after it was wrecked I got a 2019 and this one has been fine.
I have also said elsewhere on this site that although you throw that out there often as a feel-good anecdote; statistically you would not get two oil burners in a row. Its probably a fraction of 1% of the 2.4 engines that end up with this issue. Its a lemon lottery. Odds of winning it twice are exceedingly low, so the fact that you didn't "win" the lemon lottery on your second Compass provides no meaningful evidence that FCA has changed anything to attempt to address this problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
I have also said elsewhere on this site that although you throw that out there often as a feel-good anecdote; statistically you would not get two oil burners in a row. Its probably a fraction of 1% of the 2.4 engines that end up with this issue. Its a lemon lottery. Odds of winning it twice are exceedingly low, so the fact that you didn't "win" the lemon lottery on your second Compass provides no meaningful evidence that FCA has changed anything to attempt to address this problem.
Also anecdotal, I'm not seeing as many complaints on this site about 2019s and 2020s as we do about the 2017s and 2018s. Yes there may be some, but not as many. I suspect that FCA got wind of the problem long before they admitted it and may have done some investigation/correction on their own while still dodging the ramifications. This may have involved only a small percentage of their vehicles, the amount of oil consumption some are seeing and the number of vehicle owners complaining must be more than a statistical aberration.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't know. Individual reports on a public forum is a really unreliable place to try to gather stats from. I don't feel like we've seen any decrease in reports for the 2019s, the 2020s maybe but there could be multiple explanations for that other than FCA changing something to fix it. As with this update, they could have potentially started masking it better without changing their actual manufacturing processes too. Hard to say.

I read about some oil consumption issues with the 2.4 Renegades when I bought my 2017.5 and I thought "surely they have fixed that issue by now". Pretty sure those reports go back to 2014.5 models when the Renegade started selling. I don't know what the scoop is, but I'm glad I didn't win the lemon lotto (at least, not the oil burning part of it). Completed two more towing projects this week but both were lighter loads. Its nice to be able to haul something like a garden tractor and get 26 MPG vs the 16 that a pickup truck would likely yield. Rides better too.

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
Its nice to be able to haul something like a garden tractor and get 26 MPG vs the 16 that a pickup truck would likely yield. Rides better too.
A truck keeps on being a truck; a Compass pulling a trailer is only a truck when you want it to be.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts