My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Oil pooling in valve cover bolts

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Penna111 
#1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2018 Jeep Compass with just over 60k miles. As I was driving today, it just shut off. I got it started again, and moved to a safe location. As I was scrolling through to see if there were any alerts or messages on my dash, I noticed the oil temp was at basically 0. I checked the oil, and the dipstick was dry. I went and got a couple quarts, put it in and checked and it was fine. I took it to get the oil changed at Valvoline since they were the only thing open (Sunday at 4:40 pm.) When they scanned my bar code, they found that I just my my oil changed 600 miles ago, and it's not due until 69k miles since it's a full synthetic oil. They checked underneath, bone dry, no leaks. Checked around the engine, no leaks. Stuck his finger in the hole for the valve cover bolt, and it was full of about 3/4 inch of oil. I'm hoping that it just needs tightened up (fingers crossed.) My question is, how could it have gone through enough oil to register nothing on the dip stick in just 600 miles, with no hint of leaks, not burning oil smell, nothing other than the valve cover holes. I'm hoping that my extended warranty I got when I bought it (pre owned) at about 48k miles.

Has anyone had this kind of issue?

Thanks,

Bill

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi all. I have a 2018 Jeep Compass with just over 60k miles. As I was driving today, it just shut off. I got it started again, and moved to a safe location. As I was scrolling through to see if there were any alerts or messages on my dash, I noticed the oil temp was at basically 0. I checked the oil, and the dipstick was dry. I went and got a couple quarts, put it in and checked and it was fine. I took it to get the oil changed at Valvoline since they were the only thing open (Sunday at 4:40 pm.) When they scanned my bar code, they found that I just my my oil changed 600 miles ago, and it's not due until 69k miles since it's a full synthetic oil. They checked underneath, bone dry, no leaks. Checked around the engine, no leaks. Stuck his finger in the hole for the valve cover bolt, and it was full of about 3/4 inch of oil. I'm hoping that it just needs tightened up (fingers crossed.) My question is, how could it have gone through enough oil to register nothing on the dip stick in just 600 miles, with no hint of leaks, not burning oil smell, nothing other than the valve cover holes. I'm hoping that my extended warranty I got when I bought it (pre owned) at about 48k miles.

Thanks,

Bill
Hello, Bill.

If you don't get any insight from other forum members, we suggest a dealership visit so a certified tech can review. If you need support from our team while there, send us a message or call 877-426-5337.

Kate
Jeep Cares

#5 ·

Thanks,

Bill
More than likely to previous people who changed ur only didn't put enough in it.

#10 ·
I almost forgot what wasn't really sure whether I should post it but this guy's honest truth I'm literally contemplating suicide by driving this thing off of a cliff with a suicide note to explain to everyone in the world this is how much I hate this vehicle and this is this is why which is on the previous post because I don't see paying $900 a month to get in to own a vehicle that I just gripped my teeth on my way to just thinking about starting it I can't stand this thing that much or the manufacturer

#11 ·
Im sure you got yours fixed by now. My 2018 Compass just hit 60K. Decided to change the Plugs. Oil puddled in the center over the Valve cover bolts. I soaked it up, and noticed a tiny bubbling from one of the center bolts. I put a bottle of STP stop leak, and will check in a week or 2. Most likely will change the valve cover and bolts. I like the way this car rides and feels, but everything about it is so cheap. Bulbs burn out fast and I still have to fix the dash. Haven't had sound in 20k miles. And the car periodically shuts off.