My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -
I'm looking at a 2011 compass with 35,000 miles. It's had an excellent service history until after it went up for sale at a local dealer. About a week after it went up for sale they performed some service - the vehicle history report shows"Four tires mounted and balanced
Front brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced
Rear brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced
Left tie rod end replaced
Two wheel alignment performed"

Does that seem normal for the year/mileage?
Thanks - it would be my first jeep

·
Registered
6 Posts
tie rod

Brake pad replacement sounds ok, tires.. maybe they just want to make it look good to sell it faster... left tie rod end? Why only left? Makes me think maybe its been in an accident... doesnt mean you shouldnt buy it though, check it out, im no expert. just my opinion. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Tie rod replacement may not be an indication of an accident on these vehicles. On the older Compass' (2007-2010) the suspension was the weak spot and many parts of it were replaced under warranty and out of warranty well before they normally would have been replaced.

It may have been in an accident though, make sure if possible you see why those components were replaced.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
the suspension is definitely weak on pretty much all the Compasses. The all use the same part number. In the later years some started lasting longer which is likely due to better quality materials. I referred to Mevotech who makes front end parts and shows the same # for the year range into the new body style. Struts also weak. I've had all mine replaces long long ago. You have to be away the Compass was conceived on a CAR (Dodge Calibre) power train. Hence other than the body and interior differences the suspension and engines are the same including the CVT although some different versions were used in later years (not unusual as the builds changed). From 2012 year thing changed a lot more and also a new collection of bugs appeared, stalling was one I recall but others have posted here.

As for what was done. Well in a nut shell nothing. Oil change and brakes is so basic and costs them next to nothing. I've not heard of rotors being machined in decades. They cheap enough they replaced and once thin there is not enough steel to put them back in many cases. I laughed at that point. When things go wrong with these its costs very big money. A dealer replace alternator was around $800 for someone on the forum its a major labour headache and they can fail very early in life on these. I am crossing my fingers on that one myself.

If you can get it looked at by someone else. Leaking seals around the CVT and output shafts which may have failed but not replaced. Mine shafts all did as well as the replace seals again after being replaced.

Bottom line this is not a True Jeep but a rebadged Calibre. If you want an SUV then get one that is truly one. Oh gas millage on these is knowhere close to their claim in advertising. It poor for the engine and weight of the vehicle. Towing is very limited.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts