My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2021 (2022 for USA) Compass 4xE 240hp version S full equip
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to do my first connect of this onboard wifi that Jeep does together with Ubigi, it seems.
They sent me a teaser with a free trial of data and so I did as suggested for my conection + creating account.
All goes rather as in the manual BUT when I got to the part where I should connect to the wifi signal on my cell phone I just can't get it done.
WHY: because the factory password in my UConnect 5 is "null"
One should connect to it on the cell by taking that default password at first creating the account BUT it is a WPA2 conection so password should be minimum of 8 digits! As null is only 4, I just can't connect!

Well; tha should not be soo difficult, should it? But mmmmm:
Ubigi says: Cannot help, go see your provider. So they don not considers themselves as so?
Suppose Jeep or Uconnect should be able to get me further but, until now.............. no progress :-(

Has anyone had the same problem and got it resolved? By whom? How? OTA or Dealer update?

Thanks

Font Tree Gadget Screenshot Multimedia
Font Tree Gadget Screenshot Multimedia

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for trying to help me.
I am fully aware of needing to make the subscrition, but that comes after connecting to cell or tablet.
My problem is that when trying to change te default "null" password, whatever new password I have tried in the place that you mark with the red circle, it just doesn't get changed. When ending the edit clicking the "enter V" it just falls back to that default password!
I am doing it right, because I have changed my Hotspot Name without any difficulty.

· Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
221 Posts
Ok my phone won't play your vid, but I'm understanding you cannot get it to accept a change to the WiFi password.

From memory I did this before I could sign up to UBIGI.

You can only sign up to UBIGI through the phone app while the phone is connected to the car's WiFi. So you have to be able to setup the car's Wifi to get UBIGI's data eSIM up and running.

Have you tried to connect the car to your home WiFi and enable software updates to see if that clears it?

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NEV, You are my hero!! 😉

I don’t know why really, but I had a look at the home wifi connection on the UConnect5. I confirmed that it was connected, as always since I bought the car. Btw: never received any updates in 1 year.
But okey; that checked I went back to my problem and Miracle! There was a new default password on the hotspot screen!!

After that, all was easy: I changed the password, made the subscription and off I was!

Realize that only you have been able to help me out of this! Neither Ubigi, nor FCA/Jeep local + Italy where able to figure out what to do!!

So, thank you very much! Un grand merci!

Already activated Alexa.
Brings up a (smaller) problem: I can talk to Alexa by the on screen button, but the green talk button on the steering weel does nothing, while Alexa says to use that.
Anyway, we’ll certainly find something for that, too 😉

Bye

· Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
221 Posts
Brilliant!

For Alexa I do: "Hey Jeep.... Alexa .." you don't need to press anything.

But there is a screen button at the top somewhere if the passenger wants to use their overhead mic for vocal command.

Alexa is a bit hamstrung. She won't play BBC Sounds radio (I think this is a geolocation thing by the BBC) but she can access most other stuff. Even my heating & lighting at home. 🤭

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okey!

Will do a calm session tomorrow and lookup my actual “Hey word”

If I understand well, I now will have 3 systems together:
1) The own Jeep voice commands
2) The Apple Carplay command, and
3). Alexa

Will certainly not lack of company on long trips haha!

PD: I also ound the on screen Alexa blue button on the lower right side.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
221 Posts
I found when you connect Android Auto it deactivates a lot of Stuff. Including UConnect SMS reading/sending. So I set it to only use Android Auto over USB C when I initiate it from the menu. And not automatically when the phone is plugged in. (Or over BT/WiFi)

You'll have to find your own best-setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts