My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So every time you open your door to look down or look back because your back window/camera is covered in snow/mud or what little bit you can see doesn't offer the view you need.
Your emergency brake locks on and you can't move. A quick look into the manual and I did not see any way to override this. But it something I think Jeep needs to consider since this a trail ready vehicle and many time a person may want to open the door to look down at the terrain. Or am I wacked out for even thinking this?
I will also dig further into the manual maybe there is a solution.

Well I found my answer: While I get why, still a pain in the backside.
SafeHold can be temporarily bypassed by pushing the EPB
Switch while the driver door is open and the brake pedal is
pressed. Once manually bypassed, SafeHold will be enabled
again once the vehicle reaches 12 mph (20 km/h) or
the ignition is turned to the OFF position and back to
ON/RUN again.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah it sucks but its due to the backlash Jeep/Chrysler received when they experimented with bizarre shift mechanisms and their resulting vehicles combined with specific user error had a tendency to roll away after being parked and run people over and cause accidents, at least one guy was killed even.

So now, if you try to get out (open the door) and the vehicle is still in a drive gear it will engage the emergency brake basically to try to keep you from bestowing a darwin award upon yourself (or from injuring others).

I might be wrong but it seems like as long as I don't unbuckle my seatbelt then the brake won't throw on just from opening the door, so maybe give that a try.

Even with that, its still a pain in the rear and I wish I could sign a waiver at my dealership and have them plug something in and disable what I call "idiot mode" altogether. No such option I'm afraid. I'm just happy I don't have the automatic braking assist / bumper camera / lane keeping crap.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My KL Trailhawk did the same thing. This manual 6spd Compass does not do that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We just bought a 2018 Compass Limited and if I remember correctly there is a setting in the Uconnect system that allows you to turn that feature off. I remember the dealer telling us he was going to leave that feature off when going through all the settings in the Uconnect. But my wife who is the owner of this Jeep I am sure would have told me and bitched about it at that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I actually just found this in a pdf doc as well on the Compass

The new Auto Park Brake feature can be used to apply the park brake automatically every time you park the vehicle. Auto Park Brake can be enabled and disabled in the Settings menu in Uconnect.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah it sucks but its due to the backlash Jeep/Chrysler received when they experimented with bizarre shift mechanisms and their resulting vehicles combined with specific user error had a tendency to roll away after being parked and run people over and cause accidents, at least one guy was killed even.
Yeah and that guy brought a lot of public scrutiny because obviously not only did this happen (a person dying) but he was a popular movie star with a huge career ahead of him. Anton Yelchin was his name, he was in Alpha dogs and all three Nu-Trek Star Trek movies amongst other things.

Also having seen that shifter in action. While a lot of blame goes to the people that don't make sure their car is in the right gear, I can see why a lot of people would struggle with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts