My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a AWD/4WD with a stick, and the number of available models shrinks every year. Don't want a Wrangler, not a fan of Subarus, the Outlander didn't catch my interest.. so here I am. We'll see how long it takes to get here!

·
972 Posts
Welcome! Glad you found us.

Frankly I didn't know anything came with a manual any more, except Wranglers. Hope you have good luck with your new Compass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've got a manual latitude. it's the first manual car i've ever driven that has an electric parking break. honestly, it's kinda weird. it does make up a little for the anemic engine. let me know what you think of it!

·
972 Posts
i've got a manual latitude. it's the first manual car i've ever driven that has an electric parking break. honestly, it's kinda weird. it does make up a little for the anemic engine. let me know what you think of it!
Frankly I'd prefer a manual e-brake. Not that it should happen, but if one loses control on an icy downgrade, it's nice to brake the rear wheels only. Maybe ABS takes care of that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome! Great choice.

The manual e-brake is new but is easy to get used to. The hill start control is great.

The manual pairs with the compass very well and ordering a car from the factory ensures you get everything the way you wanted.

Enjoy and post pictures once your compass arrives.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! Great choice.

The manual e-brake is new but is easy to get used to. The hill start control is great.

The manual pairs with the compass very well and ordering a car from the factory ensures you get everything the way you wanted.

Enjoy and post pictures once your compass arrives.
Will do! It's in "D" status right now, preproduction, but hopefully they'll start working on it soon. And hopefully the border won't be closed when they're done...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frankly I'd prefer a manual e-brake. Not that it should happen, but if one loses control on an icy downgrade, it's nice to brake the rear wheels only. Maybe ABS takes care of that.
I would prefer a manual one, too, I think. It's nice to be able to push-start a car and as I understand it, if the battery is dead, there's no way to release the e-brake. But I think I can live with the electronic one, and I'm very happy to not have the stop/start feature!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would prefer a manual one, too, I think. It's nice to be able to push-start a car and as I understand it, if the battery is dead, there's no way to release the e-brake. But I think I can live with the electronic one, and I'm very happy to not have the stop/start feature!
I've had my manual Latitude for a little over a year now. It's been great, and I've had no problems other than a trim piece on the roof falling off somewhere (~$10 to replace myself).

I test drove an auto since that's all that dealers have and like it, so I kept searching for a manual transmission with the features I wanted. After a few days, one popped up a couple hours away with everything that I would have ordered myself except for a sunroof (even was the color I wanted). The window sticker says it's built for someone else, but he obviously changed his mind haha. The one thing that surprised me is that the back seats don't have vents in the manual like they do in the auto versions. Seems silly because manuals in India and elsewhere have vents on the back of the center console like the autos do.

I bet you'll enjoy your new Compass once you get it. It's getting harder and harder finding a car decently spec'd with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A month ago I bought a Compass Sport with a 6 speed manual. The local dealer did not have any in stock, but a dealer about 45 minutes away had 6 in stock so they did a dealer swap. I have driven manuals all my life and my last vehicle which I had for 16 years (Saturn VUE) was rotted out due to all the salt & brine they spray on the roads and would have cost too much to fix.

The list of vehicles with a manual is small anymore. To be honest it was my number 1 reason why I bought this Jeep. The dealer was trying like hell for me to buy off the lot instead of swapping, but I told him that the manual transmission is the reason why I was there, or I would have made the trip to the other dealer and bought one there.

The shifting is a bit different then what I was used to, but I had GM vehicles all my life (Chevy Celebrity, Saturn SL1, Saturn VUE) but this one is a 6 speed, not a 5 speed, so it took a few days to get used to the desired shifting points. The clutch at first seemed to be a bit grabby, but that has calmed down. (I have 1,000 miles on it now)

The compass is a 4x4, it also has the electronic parking brake (I would have preferred manual) and keyless ignition (another oddity I had to get used to) Otherwise I like the vehicle and it performs well with plenty of pickup power, but that is probably because I have the manual.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been looking for a AWD/4WD with a stick, and the number of available models shrinks every year. Don't want a Wrangler, not a fan of Subarus, the Outlander didn't catch my interest.. so here I am. We'll see how long it takes to get here!
I'm currenty looking at a 2020 jeep compass for the same reason. AWD + Manual Trans. How do you like yours?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not the OP, but love the manual compass. Solves a lot of the complaints other posters have with the auto version.

The back seats Do have air vents. They are in a different position, under the front seats and you need to set air to the floor vents to heat/cool the back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts