My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got my Jeep yet, but am a bit concerned about the overtaking power.

Currently driving a Saturn SC1, and it's got great overtaking power.

I tend to have a 'lead foot' and can't stand someone driving 80 in an 80 zone when there's NOTHING around.

Thoughts on this issue?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well I went from a Mazda 6 to the Compass, and granted the Mazda did have some Zoom Zoom. I think the Compass can hold its own, but I've yet to really get out on the highway, I did floor it from a stop and using the "manumatic" shifter I was going 60 in no time at all.
And not using the shifter... the thing shifts so smoothly I find I am often going 10 to 20 mph over the limit without even noticing. :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
flybynight_x1 said:
...And not using the shifter... the thing shifts so smoothly I find I am often going 10 to 20 mph over the limit without even noticing. :D
:lol: That's because it's not actually shifting at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
.. yeah, less than awesome passing powers

maybe given the variable tranny .. and the 4 cylinder .. there isn't a lot of punch when trying to overtake ...

I hear the manual is better .. but the autostick on the Limited doesn't sound like it gives much more guts when you 'down shift'

I'm curious what a cold-air intake, or an exhaust system might do .. but I'm not too hopefull .. K&N reports less than 8hp gain from the CAI ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know about overtaking on the highway, but i've used the autostick around town when in a hurry, and you can chirp the tires from a stop and around most turns. :roll:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a malibu with a v6 before my compass. Obviously I felt a bit sluggish when I got the compass. I do a lot (if not mostly) hwy driving and I'm mostly in the left hand lane as well. It's not as good at overtaking as a car that's better designed for picking up speed quickly, but realistically, I didn't buy the compass to race the kids in their civics.

Coles notes: not as powerful geting up to speed, but not a klunker either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have noticed that our Compass has better high end torque that off the line staets. In passing the Compass has more noticeable pep than the power from the first. Anyone else notice this as well?

farout

·
Registered
80 Posts
farout said:
I have noticed that our Compass has better high end torque that off the line staets. In passing the Compass has more noticeable pep than the power from the first. Anyone else notice this as well?

farout
yup, it's no burner off the line, like at a stop light, but on the open road our Compass can really move.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
From the driving I have done on the highway, I have had no problem with overtaking other vehicles. Half the time, I look back and they haven't even kept up! When I am on the ramp getting onto the highway, particularly if I am going uphill, then you can hear the engine, but it doesn't sound like it is struggling all that much, just can't quite get away with full throttle at full tilt, but I agree, it does handle its own very well when passing and driving in the passing lane.

·
Registered
32 Posts
no comparison to Alfa

Wife drives the compass. She had a Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 with 120hp. Alfa is known for its lively engines, cant compare it to the compass. This is one complaint from her and as soon as warranty is up I will look for any type of improvements available....

·
Registered
656 Posts
Coming from a BMW 325is (5speed) I can say that the Compass (5speed) has plenty of get up and go off the ramp onto the freeways as well as ample speed off the line. I find I can really feel the torque pull nicely at 3000+Km
OK - so you can't pull up on the inside of a hot car and try to beat it at light changes off the line but no problem to do so getting round the sleepers on the road.
The Compass misses the punch that the BMW had from 120 to 140km, but I don't drive over 120km anymore anyway. I find the BIG mirrors give me great of view, I can easily see overtaking motorists and give way with plenty of time.
By the way the Jeep Compass is just about the same length as the 325BMW add those big mirrors, I find parking to be just about as easy.
From a sporty side I also have a '75-TR6 and find the Compass almost as much fun on country roads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used to have a 2001 Holden Calais V6 and that had some go but the commpass can hold its own on the highways and i do some stoplight takeoffs myself and im not dissapointed

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well what I've noticed driving on the highway where I live (which is pretty hilly) I find I don't have to push too hard to get the compass moving faster on the highway, but unless I push it past 4 grand going up a hill, I pretty much stand still in traffic. My recommendation: get a performance exhaust kit. It'll bring the torque band closer to the bottom of the RPM range and give you more pickup in the smaller numbers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It appears necessary to shift into 1st gear when I slow down prior to turning and climbing a hill. If I'm in 2nd the motor seems to lug. I have the 172 hp engine in a '07 Compass Sport w/ 4whl. drive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It appears necessary to shift into 1st gear when I slow down prior to turning and climbing a hill. If I'm in 2nd the motor seems to lug. I have the 172 hp engine in a '07 Compass Sport w/ 4whl. drive.
I had the same issue with my 285hp Caliber SRT4 - seemed like I always had to be in a gear lower than "normal" so I don't think it's a power issue with the engine... my CSRT4 didn't like being below 2500rpms at all, no matter what gear I was in. I don't think it's really the transmission, but maybe something to do with the actuall 2.4l "world" engine in the Compass/Patriot/RT Calibers...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts