My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I realized drops of oil under my car. While checking the source I realized it is coming down over the oil filter. And guess what, filter was loose! Like considerably loose, it was able to turn it maybe 3/4 of a full turn. I am sure the dealer who change the oil 4-5 months ago wasn't stupid enough to not tighten, so it must have gotten loose on its own, maybe from vibrations or maybe from cooling-heating cycles.

I wasn't experiencing large amount of oil loss, I lost maybe 0.25qt in 2000 miles. But now I know where the oil was going, it wasn't burning, it was slowly leaking from the loose oil filter.

If you are experiencing oil loss, make sure you check that. Also let me know if yours is also loose, if that is the case we might now what is the source of mysterious oil loss.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Mine has never been loose, and I always know because I do one oil change halfway between the dealer scheduled ones so I am always removing their filter (so I can confirm they put it on tight enough and the filter is dry), and then I put on my own filter (and obviously I am near-infallible and always put the filter on tight enough) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has never been loose, and I always know because I do one oil change halfway between the dealer scheduled ones so I am always removing their filter (so I can confirm they put it on tight enough and the filter is dry), and then I put on my own filter (and obviously I am near-infallible and always put the filter on tight enough) :rolleyes:
Yeah I am surprised about haw the filter got loose as well. the only think I can think of is ambient temperature. My oil was changed in August, ambient temperatures were around 90F, yesterday it was 3F. Maybe it got loose due to thermal expansion/contraction. I cant think it was loose from the start because I assume it would have drained the oil in 6 months, but I only lost at best 0.25qts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts