My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried any of the Stage 1,2 or 3 performance chip ODB2 modules? If so which one and how did they work?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Plug-n-play performance chips are pretty much a relic of the past, it used to be hard for engineers to make engines dynamic enough to switch between being fuel efficient and making their peak power but they have long since overcome this, as evidenced by all these tiny 4 cylinders that make more peak power than a V6 of yesteryear with twice the displacement. There is nothing a plug-in chip can hardly do for a modern engine nowadays other than maybe increase the boost past safe levels on a turbo motor.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
They don't work. HP Tuners is the only way to tune properly and they dont support any of the new compass models. Also 2015+ models are PCM locked and engine parameters can't be changed without getting the PCM unlocked.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I have read at least a couple of success stories of people using HP Tuners to tweak the TCM though, on Cherokees, as the TCM is not known to be locked like the PCM at least on a certain range of years. The couple people who have done it are true pioneers though and its still a long, expensive, and frustrating process it sounds like.

Also believe the TCM is unlocked since Madness autoworks offers a one-size-fits-all transmission tune for ~$500 for our cars (don't get to choose the tuning its just what they think is an improvement).

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
There is virtually no one who tunes 9 speed transmissions properly.
I'm 1 of those people who can as I worked with HP Tuners to be the first Cherokee 9 Speed that was actually readable with HP Tuners software.
There is no point to tuning the transmission without tuning the PCM as well since there are torque management settings in both the PCM and TCM, if you change 1 side without the other the effects and changes are nullified.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Ah so you are THAT Tyler? Your work with HP Tuners on the 9 speed is legendary but I don't understand why you'd drive a 1st gen Compass if you have a Cherokee 🤷‍♂️ 😋

I've had this post bookmarked for a long time for some day when I have money for HP Tuner/credits burning a hole in my pocket: 948TE 9 Speed Transmission Aftermarket Programming Thread

Are you sure there is really no point? Seems like the PCM would only manage peak torque output while the TCM would be gating how much torque can be applied in specific gears before a downshift or cutoff. Madness claims on their transmission tune product that they can enable/unlock more torque in each gear (but they say they don't change 1st and reverse for safety).

Also is there any known process or company that is unlocking PCMs on these cars as a service that you have heard of? I'm sure somebody someday will solve the puzzle.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
I went
2008 FDII Patriot
2012 FDII Compass
2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
2014 Grand Cherokee

But I also bought my wife a 2014 Cherokee when they first came out over 7 years ago so it's my test mule.

The issue with the transmission is. It has limits and you can change those limits for more performance, but in the PCM there is also limits that control nearly the same thing.

Here's an example.

2014 Cherokee stock PCM and TCM trying to do a brake stand

Now a 2016 Cherokee doing the same thing but torque management tuned in both the PCM and TCM

I'll tell you something right now, madness is a ripoff, they are saying they only change the torque in other gears just not 1st and reverse.......well guess what, in the part they are looking at in the TCM, 1st gear is restricted to 295ft/lbs (way more than you'll ever make) and the other gears are at 406ft/lbs. There is certain torque management in the transmission that you don't mess with and specifically upshift and downshifts. You really have to be careful with what you change because you could end up cooking your transmission.

What madness doesn't know is there are 3 other spots in the TCM that limit torque and in the case of the V6 Cherokee they limit torque well below peak values

As you can see the values are well below the peak torque of 239ft/lbs but simply changing these values didn't do anything I had to change values in the PCM as well.

Which gets me back to my next observation, I dont have a 2.4 TCM program to look at because people are too cheap to buy HP Tuners and send me their files, but lets pretend that the TCM has identical limits on the 2.4 like they are on the V6 cherokee. You won't ever make 199ft/lbs of torque with a 2.4 so that table my be useless and not get you any gains. It may only be in the PCM that there is torque limits. However I need to get a copy of a Compass PCM or TCM and see how it all works out.

On the cherokee platform FCA did a lot of terrible things to reduce the performance of the engine and transmission I can only hope they didn't mess up Compass and Renegade platform as well.

·
Registered
2019 trailhawk tuned g2’s height🙄( not for long)
13 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the Stage 1,2 or 3 performance chip ODB2 modules? If so which one and how did they work?
So I tried the PLP+ with heads-up display and data stream , when I upsized tires I checked mpg and went from 22.5 average to 19.5-20. After installation of plp my average is consistent 23.4 so yeah 300 bucks is worth it to see a real gain of 3-4 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
So I tried the PLP+ with heads-up display and data stream , when I upsized tires I checked mpg and went from 22.5 average to 19.5-20. After installation of plp my average is consistent 23.4 so yeah 300 bucks is worth it to see a real gain of 3-4 mpg.
Your PCM is locked and the OBD port is locked from receiving upstream commands so no engine performance was gained

·
Registered
2019 trailhawk tuned g2’s height🙄( not for long)
13 Posts
Your PCM is locked and the OBD port is locked from receiving upstream commands so no engine performance was gained
You want to borrow it for 2 weeks and see the difference for yourself? I mean unless you are suggesting this is a 1 of 1 million magical mystery box ? The Jeep itself calculates that mpg , not me.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
Don't need to borrow it you know why? Because I know it doesn't work.
The facts are stacked against you.

1. 2015+ FCA vehicles PCMs are locked meaning you can't change engine parameters.
2. 2018+ Vehicles require a security module bypass to allow the OBD port to send signals upstream to change parameters. However refer back to #1 which makes it impossible.
3. I tune vehicle with HP Tuners which is the only way supported FCA vehicles can be tuned The compass MP is NOT supported by HP Tuners so there is no options to make more power or increase efficiency from a tuning perspective.

I understand you need to justify spending the money when in fact it was money wasted but to even begin to show tangible benefits of fuel economy you need to do closed course testing which removes as many variables as possible. You did none of that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plug-n-play performance chips are pretty much a relic of the past, it used to be hard for engineers to make engines dynamic enough to switch between being fuel efficient and making their peak power but they have long since overcome this, as evidenced by all these tiny 4 cylinders that make more peak power than a V6 of yesteryear with twice the displacement. There is nothing a plug-in chip can hardly do for a modern engine nowadays other than maybe increase the boost past safe levels on a turbo motor.
Does that go for a 2014 2.0 L Jeep Compass latitude as well? I'd like a little bit more acceleration. I do a lot of highway driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went
2008 FDII Patriot
2012 FDII Compass
2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
2014 Grand Cherokee

But I also bought my wife a 2014 Cherokee when they first came out over 7 years ago so it's my test mule.

The issue with the transmission is. It has limits and you can change those limits for more performance, but in the PCM there is also limits that control nearly the same thing.

Here's an example.

2014 Cherokee stock PCM and TCM trying to do a brake stand

Now a 2016 Cherokee doing the same thing but torque management tuned in both the PCM and TCM

I'll tell you something right now, madness is a ripoff, they are saying they only change the torque in other gears just not 1st and reverse.......well guess what, in the part they are looking at in the TCM, 1st gear is restricted to 295ft/lbs (way more than you'll ever make) and the other gears are at 406ft/lbs. There is certain torque management in the transmission that you don't mess with and specifically upshift and downshifts. You really have to be careful with what you change because you could end up cooking your transmission.

What madness doesn't know is there are 3 other spots in the TCM that limit torque and in the case of the V6 Cherokee they limit torque well below peak values

As you can see the values are well below the peak torque of 239ft/lbs but simply changing these values didn't do anything I had to change values in the PCM as well.

Which gets me back to my next observation, I dont have a 2.4 TCM program to look at because people are too cheap to buy HP Tuners and send me their files, but lets pretend that the TCM has identical limits on the 2.4 like they are on the V6 cherokee. You won't ever make 199ft/lbs of torque with a 2.4 so that table my be useless and not get you any gains. It may only be in the PCM that there is torque limits. However I need to get a copy of a Compass PCM or TCM and see how it all works out.

On the cherokee platform FCA did a lot of terrible things to reduce the performance of the engine and transmission I can only hope they didn't mess up Compass and Renegade platform as well.
What year is your Compass? I have a 2014 Compass Latitude. I have no idea what the Latitude package is but my jeep has a 2.0 liter engine. Is a chip worth it? I do quite of bit of highway driving and there are alot of sudden stops and sudden accelerations.

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
You have a 2014 and it is not supported by HP Tuners, so there is no option for tuning,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts