My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two months ago my Compass shut off without any warning while i was driving. This was due to an oil consumption issue. About three weeks later the same thing happened to my little brothers. I’ve started a petition for Chrysler to recall these engines before someone gets hurt. I’ve attached a link to my petition and I sincerely appreciate everyone’s support. If you would take the time to sign and share the petition I think we could really make a difference. Worst case scenario, we spread awareness. Thank you!
Sign the Petition
Make Chrysler Acknowledge and Recall Jeep Compass Engines With Oil Consumption Issues
chng.it
chng.it

·
763 Posts
There's only a minority of vehicles affected (I had one) and FCA would just say, "If a few 2.4s snuck through they're covered under warranty." We know the problems with getting warranties to cover and they'd have a battery of lawyers to fight it.

However, maybe instead of a recall we could get FCA to retrofit a low oil level warning light on the dashboard. We know the technology exists, it wouldn't be a difficult project to engineer and implement, and so it would be a cheap fix. If there was enough support they might do a voluntary recall for such a solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's only a minority of vehicles affected (I had one) and FCA would just say, "If a few 2.4s snuck through they're covered under warranty." We know the problems with getting warranties to cover and they'd have a battery of lawyers to fight it.

However, maybe instead of a recall we could get FCA to retrofit a low oil level warning light on the dashboard. We know the technology exists, it wouldn't be a difficult project to engineer and implement, and so it would be a cheap fix. If there was enough support they might do a voluntary recall for such a solution.
Hey Jasmine! Thanks for responding to my post. When you said that there’s only a minority of Jeeps affected by this issue, im wondering where you received that information from. Is that based off what Jeep told you? I’ve reached out to several owners of the Jeep Compass (who have purchased 2017, 2018, and 2019 Compasses) and requested they check their oil for consumption. Out of all the individuals I reached out to (about 15) every one of them reported that their Jeep was consuming oil. Some were losing oil faster than others, but on average I think we were looking at about 1-1.5 quarts of oil lost per 1,000 miles. What i found most frustrating is that most of these people, including myself had already had multiple oil changes before we checked our oil. So the service departments either weren’t checking the oil before changing it, or they were ignoring the issue. In my case, my vehicle shut off before i checked it. I was also told by FCA that this was not an issue with all the Jeep Compasses but both of the Jeep technicians I’ve spoken with said it’s an issue with all of them. Getting warranty repairs for me has always been a hassle. In my experience it’s not an “issue” until the warranty has expired.
I absolutely love the idea of putting a low oil indicators in the vehicles. I think that would be an amazing safety feature for all vehicles.

·
763 Posts
Hey Jasmine! Thanks for responding to my post. When you said that there’s only a minority of Jeeps affected by this issue, im wondering where you received that information from. Is that based off what Jeep told you? I’ve reached out to several owners of the Jeep Compass (who have purchased 2017, 2018, and 2019 Compasses) and requested they check their oil for consumption. Out of all the individuals I reached out to (about 15) every one of them reported that their Jeep was consuming oil. Some were losing oil faster than others, but on average I think we were looking at about 1-1.5 quarts of oil lost per 1,000 miles. What i found most frustrating is that most of these people, including myself had already had multiple oil changes before we checked our oil. So the service departments either weren’t checking the oil before changing it, or they were ignoring the issue. In my case, my vehicle shut off before i checked it. I was also told by FCA that this was not an issue with all the Jeep Compasses but both of the Jeep technicians I’ve spoken with said it’s an issue with all of them. Getting warranty repairs for me has always been a hassle. In my experience it’s not an “issue” until the warranty has expired.
I absolutely love the idea of putting a low oil indicators in the vehicles. I think that would be an amazing safety feature for all vehicles.
I'm basing my argument on the silence of others on this site. A few dozen participants on the thread (and some are only responding, not complaining) don't make a mountain of complaints. I don't know any other 2nd Gen Compass owners personally, though I suppose I could start asking strangers at the gas station.

My experience is purely anecdotal. My 2018 sucked up oil to the tune of 3000/qt. My 2019 doesn't use a drop. All that proves is that FCA is capable of getting it right sometimes. Had my 2018 I would have coped by adding a quart between changes. As I said elsewhere that's a nuisance, but not a damning fault. I also noted that the oil consumption was improving as time/miles went on.

My 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8 had a low oil warning that never activated till I was past 200,000 miles. As with any engine at that age I had to start checking my oil more frequently. It never came on while I was driving, but after being parked I presume a sensor was activated if it wasn't sensing oil. Seems easy enough to implement such a device.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At least you fine folks have a lemon law here in Canada we got nothing but the dealership arguing for you to the head office.
Today I spent the morning about an hour in my dealership for my very first inspection of oil consumption they reported that it didn't look like it ate anything for the first 1000 Km's so in another roughly 3 weeks I get to go back and have them check it again.
And Jasmine I think the reason some of us are upset is firstly I bought this new Compass due to my health being very poor and I wanted to make sure the next Jeep wouldn't require my wife to do much in terms of service. We were not told about the consumption problem had we know I would have gone with the Cherokee 6 cylinder which doesn't seem to have that problem.

Secondly when we discovered the problem it came upon us when I turned the corner and lost all power with a city bus right behind me, freaked me out to say the least and it took more then 1 turn of the button to get it started.

And thirdly my motor now has a loud tappet sound at 14000 KM my previous Compass 2013 with 132,000 KM was very quiet and had no oil burn up especially with the full synthetic ( @$12.00/Litre ) or $120.00/oil change at dealer.
And it seems that it running roughly 10% of folks from what I was told.

So just saying that I spent roughly $32,000 Canadian to buy my Jeep and was looking at not having to check the oil but have it done at my dealership every 8000 Km's which we have done for about 20+ years now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At least you fine folks have a lemon law here in Canada we got nothing but the dealership arguing for you to the head office.
Today I spent the morning about an hour in my dealership for my very first inspection of oil consumption they reported that it didn't look like it ate anything for the first 1000 Km's so in another roughly 3 weeks I get to go back and have them check it again.
And Jasmine I think the reason some of us are upset is firstly I bought this new Compass due to my health being very poor and I wanted to make sure the next Jeep wouldn't require my wife to do much in terms of service. We were not told about the consumption problem had we know I would have gone with the Cherokee 6 cylinder which doesn't seem to have that problem.

Secondly when we discovered the problem it came upon us when I turned the corner and lost all power with a city bus right behind me, freaked me out to say the least and it took more then 1 turn of the button to get it started.

And thirdly my motor now has a loud tappet sound at 14000 KM my previous Compass 2013 with 132,000 KM was very quiet and had no oil burn up especially with the full synthetic ( @$12.00/Litre ) or $120.00/oil change at dealer.
And it seems that it running roughly 10% of folks from what I was told.

So just saying that I spent roughly $32,000 Canadian to buy my Jeep and was looking at not having to check the oil but have it done at my dealership every 8000 Km's which we have done for about 20+ years now.
It blows my mind that they aren’t addressing this issue in the front end. If that city bus looked away for half a second you could have been seriously injured. Jeep is well aware of the issue but they would rather risk lives than correct their mistakes. Despicable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts