My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are now a 2 blue Jeep family! She liked my blue Gladiator so well that she had to have a blue Jeep too! Hers is the 2020 Compass
Latitude.

Let the mods begin!

I'd like to upgrade the 7" to the 8.4" Uconnect with navigation.

We are in Maryville, Missouri.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nice pair of Jeeps! We have also turned into a two-Jeep family, one Cherokee and one Compass.

I don't know what your feasibility is going to be on that radio upgrade, probably doable but going to be pretty expensive and time consuming most likely.

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
Welcome! We are also a two Jeep family and about to become a three Jeep family when our Wrangler comes in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what your feasibility is going to be on that radio upgrade, probably doable but going to be pretty expensive and time consuming most likely.
There's a thread on here from someone who did it on their 2018 Compass ... Yes, the parts (new) are ~$1,000, and according to that thread, I have to do a "proxy sync" of the computers ... When I look at stickers, the 8.4 Nav adds ~$1,495 to the sticker price, so I'm going to come out a few $$$ ahead. I did the same upgrade on my Gladiator. It is actually quite easy to remove & swap the radio -- it is convincing the computers to allow the upgrade that may be a challenge :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm going to come out a few $$$ ahead
We'll see about that, lol

It is actually quite easy to remove & swap the radio -- it is convincing the computers to allow the upgrade that may be a challenge :)
Agreed. If you don't already have tools like OBDLink MX+, canbus adapter cables, and AlfaOBD then those dollars you think you are saving will be bridged and overran perhaps quite quickly.. and apparently your time is worth nothing in your calculations either.

Going from the 7 inch to the 8.4 will probably be fine but some of these have different physical button panels under the radio depending on which hvac controls are ran off the radio itself vs physical buttons, if you end up needing button panel swap on top of everything else (you probably wont), plus being a 2020 you have to deal with the security gateway bypass for the extra software hardening they added in 2018+ so with that cost in there too... yeah my rough math bets you will be well over 2 grand and out hours and hours of your time once that upgrade gets done if you are just doing it at home.

If you can get your dealership to do some programming to cut down the programming tools you'd need and if the seller of your upgraded radio does everything right to make it as smooth as possible pre-writing your VIN and whether you have things like heated seats and so on (which the screen controls) I'm thinking you'll still end up around $2k and out 12 hours or so. But maybe you will be able to undercut it thanks to some special leverage or access at your local dealership.

I don't know you and your skill set and what you have access to. But in general I would warn anybody reading this researching a potential purchase: You should always always always buy these things already equipped with every option you think you will ever want, because its only getting harder, more expensive, and more time consuming to add or upgrade any factory parts after the fact. Whether that be radio or trailer tow group or whatever, just get it the way you want it from the start. Where there is a will there is usually a way but its not likely going to be an easy way and there especially are no meaningful dollars to be saved.

I'll somewhat make the exception for the poor folks who are die-hard manual transmission mongers since so few factory upgrades are available in combination with the manual, but even then I'd make a case that its not worth it overall. A manual transmission is nice but the one in the Compass is not geared for off road and really nothing special overall in trade for not getting remote start and 20 other nice things... well obviously that's why I have a 9 speed Limited lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We'll see about that, lol
All your points are valid ...

That being said, I did the same Uconnect 7" -> 8.4" NAV upgrade on my 2020 Gladiator Sport S, and it was as simple as disconnect the battery, remove the 7"; install the 8.4"; reconnect the battery; start & stop the engine a few times; let it sit for a few hours; and it worked -- took perhaps 45 minutes from start to finish. Plug and play.

I am in the process of adding the proximity locks feature to my 2020 Gladiator Sport S -- a process that requires OBD ($99) / security gateway bypass cable ($26) / { Tazer | OBD Jscan $22 | AlfaOBD $40 } OBD programmer, etc. So I will have many of the tools needed for the Compass upgrade as a result.

It surprised me that the Mopar part #'s for the radio are different on the Compass than the Gladiator. After seeing that the "proxy alignment" is necessary on the Compass, it surprised me that a similar procedure was not necessary on the Gladiator...

I agree that it is stupidly expensive / time consuming to add options after the fact. Therefore, I extensively research each before attempting, and enter each with reasonable expectation that it may not work for me -- at which time I can likely sell everything on ebay and recoup some of the $$$.

As far as my time. I enjoy working on cars. I was a software engineer for ~12 years before going back to school for my current career (optometrist). Thus tinkering with this project is an enjoyable way to pass my time. And if it works -- that is a bonus!!!

I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I hope it does go well for you, like you said it will be an interesting project either way. Many people will be looking forward to hearing about the experience and the outcome :)

·
Registered
2019 compass sport 4x4 6 speed manual
90 Posts
We are now a 2 blue Jeep family! She liked my blue Gladiator so well that she had to have a blue Jeep too! Hers is the 2020 Compass
Latitude.

View attachment 14449

Let the mods begin!

I'd like to upgrade the 7" to the 8.4" Uconnect with navigation.

We are in Maryville, Missouri.
Should be doable if you have factory Xm radio, I believe you may need the Alfa obd tool as well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts