My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to purchase a 2020 Jeep Compass. I love the car, style, etc but I have read horror stories online about issues with this particular vehicle. I know that there will always be negative reviews on all vehicles but just wondering if anyone on here has experienced major issues with your Compass.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
735 Posts
Welcome
To Compass. I have a 21 and love it. I have had no issues other than sometimes I fail to understand some of the tech aspects.

·
Administrator
2,237 Posts
Pre-2019 2nd Gen Compasses had two problems:
1) The big one was oil consumption. When the engine ran low it quit right where it was, no warning, no nothing. That may be the horror stories you've read about. After a year or two Jeep launched a recall that corrected the problem. Mine doesn't use any oil and I don't see threads on here about that any more except a few rare ones from people who didn't do the recall.
2) The other was a grumbling noise in the drive train in the 25-35MPH range. There was no recall for this but Jeep offered a free update that moves the noise up to 40+MPH so it isn't noticeable. FYI, Subarus make the same noise a heck of a lot louder.

I haven't heard anything about those problems on 2020s and newer.

Other minor issues:
1) The start/stop system that all cars have these days. There are two batteries now, and the auxiliary battery seems to have a short life (3 years).
2) Not a problem but some owners complain the 9-speed tranny is a little funky. With 9 hamsters scampering around in there, ya gotta expect a little something. It upshifts very smooth, but there is a gap between 5 and 4 when downshifting. I'm at 92,000 miles with no issues.
3) As with all the newer cars, regardless of the brand, the electronics have outpaced reliability. Most owners don't have a problem, but for those who have problems, they seem unsolvable. I suggest you test drive the same one a couple times. If there are no warning lights you've probably got a good one. However, if there are any warning lights on the dash, don't buy it. Don't let the dealer sweet-talk you into it by saying "Just make an appointment with our cracker-jack service department. They'll take care of it next week."

This is my second 2nd generation Compass (first one got wrecked). So far I'm happy with it.

Oh yeah, sway bar links. Not serious, but for some reason (probably to save weight) they are made out of plastic and they fail early. Not a safety problem, but they rattle terribly. I got metal replacements for mine. Not expensive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oh yeah, sway bar links. Not serious, but for some reason (probably to save weight) they are made out of plastic and they fail early. Not a safety problem, but they rattle terribly. I got metal replacements for mine. Not expensive.
What is the part number for the metal links?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts