My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, not sure if this is the appropriate board but I just bought my 2011 Jeep compass Latitude, FD 1 about two weeks ago. Since its used with about 37k on it, I decided to use some gumout to help clear up some debris buildup. I also decided to track my mileage. First quarter tank was pretty good, about 100 miles, but after that each quarter tank only took me 45-50 miles. Overall I'm looking at about 17-18 mpg city. What would cause this?? I have been driving extra careful too in order to get the best mpg I could.

I will be checking thtire pressure, air filter and spark plugs tomorrow to see of that may be dirty/corroded.

Also, would gumout affect the current tanks mpg, I.e. making it burn fuel more to clear the engine out?

Thanks,

Snowycompass

·
Registered
12 Posts
my compass is brand new and im having the same problem, im averaging 13-16 mpg.
took it to the dealership and they basically told me to deal with it

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
What are you temps where you are driving, cold temperatures affect the fuel economy quite negatively in these vehicles.

As for tracking mileage between 1/4's o the gas gauge, that doesn't work at all because of the design of the gas tank.

Compass' actually have 2 smallish tanks, one on each side in the back (take a peak underneath)

There is a transfer tube between the 2 which pumps fuel into the tank that is being emptied to maintain a constant supply of fuel to the engine,

that is why the gas gauge really move down from a 1/4 to emply.

I have a FDII which gets the worst mileage of all the Compass and in the summer I get about 275 miles per tank.

Winter where I love (-30c frequently)

I'm down to about 190-200 miles per tank.

Its normal. My old 2008 patriot had the same deal, cold temps in the winter and not the best gas mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm experiencing temps sub 25° up here in Chicago. I guess I'll just change the plugs since its never been done and replace filters too since they're filthy. I'll see how far I go with the basics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts