My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wifes car started making bad noises in the front end again...having replaced the front control arms (for a second time:wallbash::wallbash:) with factory OEM arms exactly one yr ago, i was thinking how could they be bad again???!!!

upon a quick poke around under the car everything seems tight and i found that the driver side shock appeared to have been leaking oil for idk how long.

im wondering if the shock has gone bad and the lack of dampening in causing the rattling on the bumpy roads.

b4 i just start throwing parts at i was hoping to get some feedback from u guys? anybody have their shock go bad yet? can i just unbolt the shaft of the shock from the top inside the engine bay and feel if it has any resistance

also can i replace shock/strut assembly at home or will ther still be tension on the spring even when jacked up?

100K mile on the car btw

·
Registered
56 Posts
Clunk noises and oil dripping from the shock, yup, sounds like its bad. To test the shock you would have to remove the strut assembly from the vehicle then compress the spring with a spring compressor tool that you can rent from just about any auto parts store (don't undo the top middle nut with out compressing the spring first, it can shoot out and possibly cause injury). With the strut out and the spring compressed, press down on the shock, you should feel resistance and then it should slide back up on its own. If you can press it down too easy or rises up really slow or maybe not even rise at all then its bad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, the process u described is what i was getting at but didnt realize I would have to compress the spring just to test the shock.

so in that case i guess i would have to use the compressor tool to replace the whole shock and strut assembly? the way u described it makes it sound like the shock/strut assembly and spring all come out together and the spring is still compressed

·
Registered
56 Posts
You got it. The shock is actually called strut because the spring is attached to it (sorry, I should have cleared that up on my last post).

Once you undo the top three nuts and the lower two bolts and anything that might be attached to the strut, it should all come out as one piece. The spring is slightly compressed but its enough to shoot out once the top nut gets loose.

Some examples with out the tool:
How to remove a spring from a strut? Funny, the wrong way do not try this - YouTube
How NOT to do a Strut - YouTube

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL at the vid's!!

ok i got it now thanks for the help DEF1ANT.
i just ordered the shock/strut assembly and im gona rent the spring compressor from autozone, ill let u guys know how it go's

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I used a manual tool to compress the spring. Good quality steel and either a ratchet or air gun to bring it in on two sides until all is free. One has to be very carefull the spring cannot get free, it can be like a bomb going off with the energy in them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mustv been similar to the one i used. it was safer and easier than i thought it would be

1 - 8 of 8 Posts