My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Power Steering Problem

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Gustavo Mata 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Jeep Compass Limited. I just bought it a week ago and three days ago I parked it at my work. Two days later I start it up to let it warm and when I try to back it up the steering wheel is impossible to move. I check under the hood and see the power steering reservoir is empty and there is red fluid where I was parked. I didn't know anything about ATF +4 so I used the rest of some leftover generic power steering fluid I happened to have. I made it about 15 miles before the God awful sounds were too much to bear. I brought it to a shop where they said the return line had two three inch cracks. Unfortunately, the hose would take 4-5 days to get so the mechanic cut the hose and replaced it along with some high pressure clamps; something he says he has done before and can be a long term fix, however, I told him to go ahead and order the part anyways. He also drained all of the fluid out; I read other places that this short term fix wouldn't cause any long term damage to any parts. I make it the rest of the way home without any issues; about 45 miles. A few hours later I go to use it when I notice the steering is very difficult again. I look under the vehicle and sure enough the red power steering fluid is under the vehicle and this time leaking in a steady stream. It is far too dark to see if it is the part the mechanic replaced, but if anyone has any ideas of what else it might be in the meantime that would be great. I really like this vehicle and Jeeps in general and this is my first one, but this first week with it has really tested my faith in this vehicle.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.