My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I offroad with my compass quite frequently I have decided to take on a project that to my knowledge no one has ever tried with their compass or patriot, and that is a rear locker or LSD (limited slip).

The brake lock diffs BLD used on the FDII are great but sometimes they are too aggressive and the vehicle can get bogged down, having a mechanical device other than brakes transfer torque should really help out offroading.

I have bought a spare diff out of a FDII 09 patriot, and will update this thread with the progress I have.

I may end up not being able to do anything with it, but at the very least i'll be able to show pictures of the teardown because I've never seen our diffs taken apart before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a '07 with a manual transmission, would something like this work for a manual, just to be clear the manual does not have the FDI, is this correct?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would assume not, his only option would probably have been to weld the spider gears together to create a full spool axle with zero on-road drivability. I've done a welded diff before and never will again for something that sees regular road usage :)

I have seen some people (on other cars) machine some very thin and precise washers to cram behind the spider gears to create a ton of extra friction for the spider gears to turn, as a sort of poor man's limited slip modification but my assumption is that it only works for a short period until the metal-on-metal grinds most of those washers away and then you just have a bunch more ground up steel particles whisking around in your gear oil...

Other than that I'm not sure what he could have attempted unless his diff shared exact hardware with some other diff that had limited slip clutch pack options.

His project was for a first gen, I still have hope that a person could get their hands on a junkyard locking diff from a 2.4 Cherokee Trailhawk and find a way to put it on a 2nd gen Compass, but thats a whole different thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So you can put a locking diff from a 2.4 Cherokee into a 1st gen compass? Only asking because I have a 2015 high altitude

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That project was halted when the company I was working with ghosted me, and even if it would have worked out having a locking diff really wouldn't have done much at all, the real issue is not having low range, even if the rear end is locked the MK platform (and MP as well) simply doesn't have the torque to effectively put engine power to the ground. My 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, I rarely used the rear locker but always used the low range, that was the key.
Also you can't use any hardware from the Cherokee KL in the compass MK nothing is even remotely the same at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts