My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in August, I was having difficulties with my Push Start. I got into my vehicle and noticed that my brake pedal was locked up, preventing me from being able to push down on it to start the engine with the Push Start. The Push Start button was working fine on its own, when I pushed it, the radio and everything else would come on. I just couldn't get the vehicle to start.

After a few tries of moving the steering wheel, putting the car in neutral, disengaging the e-break, it would eventually start. It did this randomly and periodically for about a month and then worked just fine as if nothing happened.

Around October it started to do it again. I took it into the dealership and of course, it didn't reproduce the issue for them. They ran some diagnostics and nothing would show up on the report. They ended up updating the computer system and fixed a latch recall and something with my blower motor, and sent me on my way.

A few weeks later, the issue started up again. Only this time my car wouldn't start at all. I had to call my insurance company out to my house to jump start it. The guy said the battery was bad. I went to get a new battery and after it was installed, my car still didn't want to turn on. Finally, we got it to start and the check engine light came on. I had Autozone run a diagnostics test and it said there was an error in the brake system (not the exact reading, just the gist of it).

I then took my Jeep to our family mechanic to see if he could find the problem (since the service I received at the dealership was subpar). He kept it for a week, and once again my Jeep never reproduced the issue for him. I took it back home and since then every time I turn on the car, this message reads on the dash "Start/Stop Unavailable Service Start/Stop System".

So far, my Jeep hasn't given me issues with starting it. But I feel like there is still something going on, since now my Start/Stop button is disabled.

Can anyone help? Or has anyone experienced these same issues?

I bought the vehicle used from a reputable dealer, and would just like it to work properly (especially since it's not an old video).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just a guess but I think your start stop battery is bad. It is the small battery in front of the larger one. Yes two batteries on the new style compass in case you did not know

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a guess but I think your start stop battery is bad. It is the small battery in front of the larger one. Yes two batteries on the new style compass in case you did not know
Thank you! I will see if I can locate that.

Could this be the cause of both issues, or just the disabled Auto Stop/Start?

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
First off, welcome to the site!

I've not experienced your problem but from what I've seen the stop/start feature (drawback) is a common trouble spot.

When it is severely cold, say -20F, mine gives me a message saying the outside temp is too cold for the stop/start system to operate. Apparently this is the way it is designed and I understand that -- in cold weather there is no sense putting unnecessary strain on the battery.

When it is moderately cold, -3F like this morning, it says the system needs servicing. I took it to church and even after sitting outside for an hour the warning light was gone and it functioned normally. It was maybe +5F by then, so not really significantly warmer. This has happened so many times I've not bothered to count.

My only suggestion is that if you have a cooperative dealer (seems you don't :( ) you could call them the next time it happened and with them on the phone see if they could talk you through some sort of diagnostic. It might even be smart to run this idea by the service manager in advance so s/he is aware. Really a conscientious service department gets frustrated with mystery problems like yours.

I once had an Olds that was having trouble with the door locks. The service writer took my car to park it and locked herself in it! They couldn't say that the problem couldn't be duplicated! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts