My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting one of the HID kits I've seen. Has anyone put one on their Compass (or another car for that matter). How did it work? Was it difficult? Any troubles? Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
HID's are extremly simple to install, i had them on my 95 grand cherokee and i just put them on a friends mazda speed3. basically the kit comes with 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs, ive been wanting to get HID's for my compass but i can't decide on whether or not to go with the 6k or 8k. but to install them all you need to do is take the old bulbs out, connect the stock harness to the ballast and then its plug and play from their, when all was said and done it took me about 45 min to install. hopefully that answers your questions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i actually never had the problem of my hid's being mis aimed, they were just extremly bright and blue which pissed off a lot of people. but i think that is because the kit i got was already retro fitted for my grand cherokee.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Be carefull, I heard bad stories about installing an H.I.D. kit on the Compass/Patriot. The computer detects the 23000 V startup voltage and also the lower 35 watts compared to regular 55W bulbs and turn them off after 5 sec. You need to buy a device that fools the computer, they sell them on eBay.

According to some research on the net:

HIDs operate on 35W whereas halogens operate on 55W. In some vehicles, the difference in current will trigger a "low beam failure indicator" or a "fast blinking error." As a result, your HID Conversion kit will not function properly.

Basically you need to have the computer think you still have regular 55W halogens hooked-up...

Some companies are selling what they call HID Canbus resistors or Canbus warning cancelling modules you add to your installation... You may want to try one of these!

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/CANBUS_Fix_p/cbfix.htm
http://www.cntuning.com/sdp/623241/4/pd/3504321.html
http://www.buytoonline.com/hid-kit-c...-audi-p64.html
http://unitesunshine.diytrade.com/sd...2-1287724.html

see this topic:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483383

·
Registered
23 Posts
i read the postings from that forum and i have a question did he get the retro fit kit because he is talking about grounding things and everytime i have done HID's i have never grounded anything so that is what is so wierd to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did the 6k HID conversion on my 07 jeep compass, it was simple for the most part. but i ran into a problem, the lights would run without a problem as long as the car was off, but when it was running, if i turned the HID's on they would come on for 3 seconds and then shut off, (being under powered) so i had to wire in two relay's to keep them from shutting off. with only one relay they would strobe. but other than that, I haven't had any problems out of the HID conversion

·
Registered
23 Posts
did yo take any pictures of the installation because i want to see where you wired in these relays so i can do it myself. that and i want to see what the final product looks like

·
Registered
6 Posts
i`ve heard some cases saying that HID may cause ECU problems. and its reaction when changing lights is also not very fast.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a friend who had his vehicle impounded because of his HID's. The Department of Transportation and the RCMP and SGI told him that HID lights are illegal in sask unless they come from the factory with them. It's rarely enforced unless you're doing something stupid though. I have seen lots of wiring melt because of them though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a friend who had his vehicle impounded because of his HID's. The Department of Transportation and the RCMP and SGI told him that HID lights are illegal in sask unless they come from the factory with them. It's rarely enforced unless you're doing something stupid though. I have seen lots of wiring melt because of them though.
They impounded the car because of his HID's?? That's stupidest thing I've heard

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Bimmer, welcome to the forum.............tell us more about your Compass...........
please be aware that no signature link that includes items for sale are tolerated.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Law is law. I'm not a fan of HID, I'll stick with my regular lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
in ontario it seems to be acceptable.

I've ran 3000k and 6000k HIDs on my old honda civic as well as yellow lights and
never had an issue with police or anything else.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have 5000K PIAA bulbs in mine and they work great. My buddy has them in his truck and I can see him coming from 6 blocks away. Cops told us that they don't like HID here because the light scatters more and it's harder to focus causing other drivers to be blinded by them. I imagine that there will eventually be something done about it, but everyone knows law is years behind technology.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Jack.........welcome to the forum..........took your link out of your signature.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts