My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. Hopefully somebody here can address some concerns I have about a new Jeep.

First of all let me say I have been driving 4x4's all my life. I've had 2 Ford F150 4x4s, a Dodge Ram 4x4, a Ford Bronco 4x4 and an old Jeep CJ 4x4.

On every one of those vehicles you could absolutely tell when the 4 wheel drive was engaged. You could tell a difference in the road noise, the vibration, the feel in the steering wheel. You could feel the vehicle lurch when you went into a hard turn, you could feel it pull its way through the mud, gravel etc......

It's important to me to have a dependable 4x4 vehicle. I'd like to know that I can depend on it to get me to work and home safely when it snows, or if I find myself on icy or muddy situations.

I just recently traded off my old Ford Bronco for this new Jeep Compass and I specifically told the dealer I wanted 4 wheel drive. The owners manual says it's a 4x4, there's a yellow light on the dash that comes on and says 4x4, but I swear I can't tell a difference in the sound or feel of the vehicle. Is this normal? Or is my system just not working?

It doesn't seem to feel any different when I pull the "4 wheel lock" Lever. I don't hear any difference in the road noise. I don't feel any vibration underneath me. There is no "Lurch" when you go into a turn. It doesn't feel any different to me than it does when it's in standard "Unlocked" mode.

I'm not sure I can trust this thing in those situations where 4 wheel drive is needed. I am a bit skeptical at the moment and I wanted to hear from somebody else on the subject.

Is it normal? Is this actually a 4 wheel drive vehicle or just a marketing gimmick?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 07 compass. if the front wheels spin, it will send power to the rear wheels. or you may "lock" the center diff with the 4wd button. I believe its only a clutch. it does work, very smoothly with no vibration, noise or any thing else noticeable. I can' tell the difference either way. but I know it climbs some snowy hills that a fwd would at least spin. it will also do some pretty good snowy donuts.
I am a fan of a 4wd lever. you now when its in or out. but so far this seems to work very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a "True" 4x4

I have a 07 compass. if the front wheels spin, it will send power to the rear wheels. or you may "lock" the center diff with the 4wd button. I believe its only a clutch. it does work, very smoothly with no vibration, noise or any thing else noticeable. I can' tell the difference either way. but I know it climbs some snowy hills that a fwd would at least spin. it will also do some pretty good snowy donuts.
I am a fan of a 4wd lever. you now when its in or out. but so far this seems to work very well.
Thanks for your reply, but I think you may not understand my original post. My Jeep Compass does "NOT" have a 4wd button. It has a Lever that you pull up on.

When I pull up on it, the only thing that appears to happen is a light on my dash "4x4" comes on. I can't tell any difference in driving or handling at all. Normally, when a 4x4 is "Locked In" if you try to make a sharp turn, you can feel the vehicle lurch and bind. That is typical of every 4 wheel drive I've ever driven. This Compass does not do that, so it makes me think 1. It's not engaging at all, or 2. It's not a true 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is no transfer case, it is a 4cyl so no you won't notice the difference like a "true" 4wd. That being said I just got the chance to try my 2014 FDI in the snow and was very impressed and the steering wheel felt a little heavier when 4wd was engaged (just enough to notice). I didn't purchase my compass to go wheeling, just wanted something that I could force from AWD into 4WD as we have about 4 months of snowy conditions where I live. I have the Wrangler SR/A tires and am pleased with the "4WD" system/tires in snowy conditions. My buddy had a '69 dodge powerwagon 4x4 and I don't expect my compass to go where that thing has gone.

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Didn't get the feedback you wanted on jeepforum:think: I won't post my information on here since you weren't all that appreciative of the information I had to offer there.

Lifted Jeep Compass Hill Climb - YouTube

Or this

Lifted Jeep Compass Articulation and BLD Test - YouTube

Feel free to see some of my other videos showing my compass in a not so good light, I've found the strengths and weaknesses of the MK platform since I've owned them for 6 years.

There are lots of things that hold back the ability of MK's but they also have a lot of capability to. But that doesn't matter right, because

Thanks for your videos. It proves my point. This vehicle is not a 4x4, rather a front wheel drive with piss poor performance.
Yup totally piss poor performance, sounds like you are butthurt because your compass didn't turn out the way you thought it should?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts