My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share. I had couple of Thule aeroblades sitting around unused from an old car, so bought new fit kit for the compass. Still gotta find the Thule podium dust caps for that finished look. Then put on a Rola cargo basket. Not perfect, but really pleased with quality for the price. Sunroof opens without hindrance, no added wind noise to speak of. SWEET!!

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
How do you like the Rola basket? That was one I was thinking of putting on my Mopar (Thule) crossbars. I've read good reviews on it if you make some minor modifications (mainly to waterproof it). My main concern I guess would be weight and whether or not it affects MPGs and power (we all know the new Compass can't afford to give up any more of that).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far so good. Easy to install, but the ideal spacing is off since there's no for/aft adjustment possible in the cross bars. Still works just fine. I read about the waterproofing issues, and I'm in Seattle so think I can vouch. I put a tiny bead of silicon around the seam when building it and made sure the supplied rubber sleeves were in good position and so far no issues. Little extra wind noise, but nothing crazy. It's heavy, but lighter than a person so really no noticeable affect on power or mpg. Only knock I have is the sticker on the back is crap. Again I'm in Seattle... We don't see the sun very often and it's already completely bleached and pealing off. But it's a crap sticker, guess it's to be expected.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So far so good. Easy to install, but the ideal spacing is off since there's no for/aft adjustment possible in the cross bars. Still works just fine. I read about the waterproofing issues, and I'm in Seattle so think I can vouch. I put a tiny bead of silicon around the seam when building it and made sure the supplied rubber sleeves were in good position and so far no issues. Little extra wind noise, but nothing crazy. It's heavy, but lighter than a person so really no noticeable affect on power or mpg. Only knock I have is the sticker on the back is crap. Again I'm in Seattle... We don't see the sun very often and it's already completely bleached and pealing off. But it's a crap sticker, guess it's to be expected.
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get mine. Good advice about the silicon; similar advice as others I've heard...THANKS! Also, I listen to my music way too loud anyway so I'm not too concerned about a little extra "wind noise." Lol. Well thanks again!

·
Registered
37 Posts
So...I purchased the rack, put it together, went to put it on the Jeep/Mopar/Thule cross bars and because the cross bar mounting points are fixed and cannot be adjusted, I’m having trouble making it fit. The fixed spacing between my crossbars are off just enough to not align with the spacing between the lower bars on the basket, which won’t allow me to fit the mounting brackets. Did you have any issues with spacing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m dumb. I just re-read your previous post and saw that you DID have spacing issues. How did you get around this? Do you have any close-ups pics showing the crossbar mounting points?

·
Registered
37 Posts
In the meantime, here is what it potentially will look like on top of my rig (just sitting on the crossbars; not mounted...yet).

Jeep Compass MP members...penny for your thoughts? I can’t decide if it sits TOO high bc the crossbars themselves sit pretty high. The other option I was looking into was the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Universal Large flat rack system. Way more $$ but oh so pretty!

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hmmm, well it is up there a ways, but at least then you have reasonably good access to reach in under it to wash the roof off which is sorta nice. Thats always been my holdback on a roof basket, right now I have a nice washy brush on a long handle I can reach up and swab the roof easily while washing. Once something is up there if there isn't much clearance cleaning can be a bit more difficult and time consuming. I think it looks ok space-wise in your case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmmm, well it is up there a ways, but at least then you have reasonably good access to reach in under it to wash the roof off which is sorta nice. Thats always been my holdback on a roof basket, right now I have a nice washy brush on a long handle I can reach up and swab the roof easily while washing. Once something is up there if there isn't much clearance cleaning can be a bit more difficult and time consuming. I think it looks ok space-wise in your case.
arudlang - Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts