My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got my jeep up on the ramp at work, and figure i would check her over before the winter comes. i feel some looseness in the d/s front wheel and it turns out to be an inner tie rod end. so i call the dealer and every aftermarket shop in town and you cannot buy these, there are part of the rack and pinion????????? so now i got to dish out 500 buck for a new rack. i figured chrysler would have changed this with all the problems they had with the old dodge dakota's with the same set up.:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I agree, if you have any warranty, I would be taking it in, especially since this is a known problem on the Compass. And this definitely jogs my memory because the last rack I dealt with was a '97 Dakota, and I believe the inner tie rod ends we purchased separately, but the only listing I can find for the Compass is the outers.....

- Cherokee

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no warrenty, i purchased it used with 72,000km on it. i searched everywhere, even called a dealer in the states that i have delt with through work, to see if they knew a way around it. but unfortunantly im stuck. good thing is i get garage price where i work with a dealership, so it is 425 + tax as apposed to 870 they normally charge, i almost passed out when he told me there was that much of a mark up. and since i am a mechanic i do my own work so i save on labour.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an 07 that just turned over 67k and i am on my second rack and pinion. thankfully i did have a warranty but i am still having a loud "popping" sound when making a full turn. does this sound familiar to anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Welcome to the forum kingston08! Definitely sounds like you're still having problems and since it was a warranty repair, I would be taking it back. Part of a warranty is not just the warranty on the parts but on the work as well. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it is replaced. not half as bad as i thought it would be, took me about 2.5 hours including wheel alignment. found out there is a lifetime warrenty on the new rack so that is a bonus. still sucks though to shell out this kind of money this close to christmas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same rack problem on my 07 and was quoted by the dealer 895.00 to repair. What are you talking about "lefetime warranty"?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got the rack through napa, limited life time warrenty, means if the rack fails and it is fault of the rack and not install or driver error/ damage it is covered

1 - 9 of 9 Posts