My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not expecting much help on this issue either, but I guess it never hurts to ask.
See this thread (and the underwhelming amount of responses) for more information.

Because of the issue, I am in the habit of turning the radio off when I shut the vehicle off. Main reason is because I listen mainly to audiobooks and if it shuts off or doesn't come on, I lose my place. There are still occasional, but random times when it doesn't come on or immediately shuts off when I start the vehicle. It is normally fine when I start it back up the next time.

Anyway, the issue I have now is that the volume won't turn up. It turns down fine, but not up. So now, my radio volume is at zero. When I turn the knob CW, nothing happens. When I turn it CCW, it shows the volume bar. Based on this, with the other issue, I am beginning to think that the radio itself is on its way out.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas? Do I need to look at getting an aftermarket unit or a replacement from a junk yard?

*fingers crossed, hoping someone replies*

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not expecting much help on this issue either, but I guess it never hurts to ask.
See this thread (and the underwhelming amount of responses) for more information.

Because of the issue, I am in the habit of turning the radio off when I shut the vehicle off. Main reason is because I listen mainly to audiobooks and if it shuts off or doesn't come on, I lose my place. There are still occasional, but random times when it doesn't come on or immediately shuts off when I start the vehicle. It is normally fine when I start it back up the next time.

Anyway, the issue I have now is that the volume won't turn up. It turns down fine, but not up. So now, my radio volume is at zero. When I turn the knob CW, nothing happens. When I turn it CCW, it shows the volume bar. Based on this, with the other issue, I am beginning to think that the radio itself is on its way out.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas? Do I need to look at getting an aftermarket unit or a replacement from a junk yard?

*fingers crossed, hoping someone replies*
Hey Kikeryn,

I would like to research this info for you. What is year is your Compass?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I believe the OEM radios have a digital volume control. No potentiometer and it is an endless control knob pulsing a signal to the inner workings on sound up/down.

Short of a radio reset it may in fact have a unusual fault. Disconnecting the power to it for a while 10-20min may get it to reset when reconnected. Removing the -ve of the battery connection for this time may do it. But I am not certain.

Good luck.

Reactions: BusterOz

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like a cold boot is required

Find the radio fuse and pull it out, count up to 10 and put it back in?

I don't think there is a security code required?

I gather steering wheel controls don't work either?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts