My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got the car, I have had some serious rattles. My two front doors rattle like there is something loose dangling in the bottom. I drive with my left leg pushed against the door to stop it from rattling while driving. The door front drive and passenger doors are getting fixed at the dealer next week.

The big problem was a rattle in the rear by the tailgate/hatch. Normal driving, and especially over bumps was a rattle that seemed for severe than anything. It was a loud, quick, banging noise.

I experimented with some blue painters tape, and taped down anything I thought would rattle (various bendable plastic in the back, wiper, etc.), and the rattle was still there. I noticed that the little spoiler on the hatch wiggled a lot. So I took some sticky foam and shoved it underneath the trim. Dove around, and the loud banging rattle was gone. So I shoved pieces of strip foam underneath the lining where the spoiler meets the glass, which you can't even notice.

Just thought I would let ya'll know to check your hatch spoiler to see if that's the cause of your rear rattle. I've seen a few posts about this rattle problem, but it would far be too much post in each thread, and that's also extremely annoying to everyone else.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Interesting, I had a rattle happening at random stop lights. It was loud and could easily be heard from outside of the car. For me, it was a hood latch that was causing my rattle. I put some Velcro on it, and it worked like a charm. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I had a rattle happening at random stop lights. It was loud and could easily be heard from outside of the car. For me, it was a hood latch that was causing my rattle. I put some Velcro on it, and it worked like a charm. :)
Oh wow! I thought the rattle in my Compass was either the license plate frame, or the interior rear hatch cover (the plastic panel on the inside of the hatch). So I took the plastic cover off, which was horridly hard. I went a head and lined the entire front and back with strip foam. You'll never notice it, and it matches the grey-black color.

I drove around and it was still there, this my hand was resting on the spoiler and it was super lose and squeaky. Go figure.

I've heard several complains about the front suspension making loud compression noises when going over bumps however. Mine do it too, more than likely normal however I have never noticed the same thing in other vehicles.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 2014 limited engine vibrates a bit when on idle I.e waiting in traffic.
Then when I give it a little gas vibration goes.
Yup that was exactly what was happening with mine.:wjeep:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2008 does the same thing. It sounds like the muffler/exhaust rattling. When I give it a little gas, it stops.
First I've heard that! Does you Compass' engine make a high pitch humming noise at idle (like under 1200RPM)? Mine does, but the second I touch the gas, the noise goes away. That one irritates me a lot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
First I've heard that! Does you Compass' engine make a high pitch humming noise at idle (like under 1200RPM)? Mine does, but the second I touch the gas, the noise goes away. That one irritates me a lot.
No my engine doesn't make that noise. My noise doesn't happen all the time but definately comes from the back end and I'm relatively sure it's the muffler/exhaust rattling due to the slight mobility of the hangers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hunting for noise

I bought my jeep compass when it first came out in 2007. Needless to say, Daimler Chrysler did not do a good job in the noise department.
Here's what I found (and fixed):
Foam inside bumpers made noise - fixed with silicone sealant
Front grill insert made noise - fixed with silicone sealant
Rear plate rattled - added two screws - plate now affixed solidly does not make noise even with subwoofer at max
Middle passenger seat belt swivel made noise, fixed with homemade plastic washer.
Lubed ball joints.
Replaced worn inner outer steering tierod ball joints. Lubed the new one prior to install
Lubed all sway bar links.
Replaced worn sway bar bushings
Applied silicone sealant to loose plastic shield under the car.
Roof rack made noise. Applied silicone sealant between roof rack and gasket especially where it clips and the square shaped areas. Believe it or not this is a big source of the most irritating noise on this car! People spent lots of money thinking the suspension was the problem. Funny the patriot did not make that mysterious noise. It has a differently designed roof rack!

·
Registered
14 Posts
"Just thought I would let ya'll know to check your hatch spoiler to see if that's the cause of your rear rattle."

My spoiler is quite loose as well. Why is it loose on a new car? Strange.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought my jeep compass when it first came out in 2007. Needless to say, Daimler Chrysler did not do a good job in the noise department.
Here's what I found (and fixed):
Foam inside bumpers made noise - fixed with silicone sealant
Front grill insert made noise - fixed with silicone sealant
Rear plate rattled - added two screws - plate now affixed solidly does not make noise even with subwoofer at max
Middle passenger seat belt swivel made noise, fixed with homemade plastic washer.
Lubed ball joints.
Replaced worn inner outer steering tierod ball joints. Lubed the new one prior to install
Lubed all sway bar links.
Replaced worn sway bar bushings
Applied silicone sealant to loose plastic shield under the car.
Roof rack made noise. Applied silicone sealant between roof rack and gasket especially where it clips and the square shaped areas. Believe it or not this is a big source of the most irritating noise on this car! People spent lots of money thinking the suspension was the problem. Funny the patriot did not make that mysterious noise. It has a differently designed roof rack!
Love this! I might have to do a quick search and check through your list.

"Just thought I would let ya'll know to check your hatch spoiler to see if that's the cause of your rear rattle."

My spoiler is quite loose as well. Why is it loose on a new car? Strange.
It is very strange. My Compass was Certified Pre-Owned with under 30K miles. The spoiler was a lot of the rattling. I still have a HORRID rattle in my front passenger and driver doors. I just deal with it. I might have to take this weekend and take the panels off and see what's good. I've heard some people have had small rocks make the rattle in the drain tubes, but I'm pretty sure an actual part rattle and a rock rattle are two completely different sounds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks will check it out...had my 2012 Compass in twice to the dealer who says after replacing a couple of stabilizer bushings: problem solved. After I pointed out to them the noise still exist they tried a couple of other things: put stuff on all the bushings to soften them. Dealers says suspension is fine: noise is made -sounds like something bumping in the rear sometimes while moving, then when coming to a stop or backing up. Sounds like metal on metal even when vehicle is stopped or getting in our out of vehicle. Only 50,000 miles, 4wheel drive with all maintenance up to date.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Compass has had rattles since 10,000 miles and the dealer was no help. It now has 50,000 and I found a service tech who knows his stuff- he fixed all the squeeks and rattles- put more screws in the license plate bracket and engine cover, put foam strips on the gas tank straps, lubed parking brake cables and bushing contact points. That fixed it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My Compass has had rattles since 10,000 miles and the dealer was no help. It now has 50,000 and I found a service tech who knows his stuff- he fixed all the squeeks and rattles- put more screws in the license plate bracket and engine cover, put foam strips on the gas tank straps, lubed parking brake cables and bushing contact points. That fixed it.

That doesn't mean much.

There is no indication of the vehicles Year, model, engine, Power train. There are a lot of variations across the years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also should add, it has had no other problems- been a good vehicle. I would buy another. In fact my son just bought a 2015 Patriot Sport FWD, 2.0 with stick shift.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Its not that old to have all them rattles. Must be poor assemble or sloppy. Knowone has posted that thus far here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts