My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has put an aftermarket remote start system on their compass yet? I was considering getting one. I was thinking of doing it myself, but I'm not sure if it will void the warranty or not. I'll have to check with the dealer (as if they will tell me I can do it myself and not pay them to do it). I'd like to get a nicer system than what mopar offers. I know I'd have to buy a bypass system, since jeep uses sentry key.

Does anyone have any info on the topic?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I want one too, but my dad is a mechanic and has seen enough of those go wrong. He wouldn't let me get one unless it was factory installed, I wasn't even allowed to get the Mopar one. They can cause a lot of problems with the wiring. Even the dealer agreed when my dad explained it. I'd stay away..

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a hand and a key and it works great. No wiring issues, no range issues :) LOL

I've had remote start in the past and it just seems wasteful to me to let your vehicle idle unnecessarily. First you pay $$$ to get it installed. Then when you use it , the vehicle pollutes more and burns gas which costs you even more money. I have no intentions of adding remote start (even though it's winter 6 months of the year).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know they are installing Autostart http://www.autostart.ca ones at my dealer if you request something different than a Mopar.

RedVortex

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ban Remote Starters

My opinion is that remote starters are totally wastefull allowing in a vehicle to pollute needlessly. In Montreal you can get a ticket if a car is left idling more then 3 minutes.
The manual instructs car to be started and driven from cold with no warm up period. I have driven BMW for last 25yrs and they all had the same instruction. Do not warm car, start it and drive it slowly until warm. Cars warm up quickly, use the block heater for easier start and quicker interior hear. Needless idling not only is wastefull but also increases engine wear and play havock on the electronic and monitoring systems.
And what happens if it is really cold and the car fails to start 1st crank with the remote starter? It stays with the starter "on" and drains the battery until you come and find it not started??

·
Registered
656 Posts
Re: Ban Remote Starters

i2canoe said:
And what happens if it is really cold ??
Sorry . . . just realized you're from Florida, but same thing about letting a car sit running with the A/C on . . . you contribute to global warming and pollute and possibly overheat the car. What if something distracts you and you don't get out to the car in 20 minutes or more, Feah . . . you don't need a remote starter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Ban Remote Starters

i2canoe said:
i2canoe said:
And what happens if it is really cold ??
Sorry . . . just realized you're from Florida, but same thing about letting a car sit running with the A/C on . . . you contribute to global warming and pollute and possibly overheat the car. What if something distracts you and you don't get out to the car in 20 minutes or more, Feah . . . you don't need a remote starter.
Well that's why remote starters are designed to prevent things like that. With programmable time limits, like 3, 5, and 10 minutes.

To be honest I'm not a big global warming supporter. Sure it would be nice for our cars to be more fuel efficient, more mpg. I think they are making more of a big deal than it really is. And I bought a Compass instead of keeping a 97 Ford Explorer V8 AWD, which I sure counts as my pollution reduction contribution.

My main reason I would like to use it, is during pit stops. I'm one to be in and out. I used to use it on my Ford Explorer. But other than that I would like it because it allows me to warm up my car (get the juices flowing sense). I'm bad at hopping in the car and going. With remote start it would allow it to start, ready to go, and then I'm off. In that sense it would be better for my car.

I'm not trying to start an argument, don't take me in that sense. You make good points that I should consider. I just wanted to get the general idea about Remote Starters, people that have them, and anyone that might have one on their compass now.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a remote start on my Spider Eclipse and have never had a problem with it. It has automatic shut off at different intervals that you pre-set. But, this car was bought used so I got an after-market one since there was no warranty to void.

I was looking into getting one for my Compass but I have the same warranty question as others. I definitely do not want to void my warranty by adding an after-market autostarter. Does anyone know how much the mopar one is? And also if it has auto shutoff?

I am very much into the global warming and pollution problem but where I live(DC area) it gets pretty cold and I am up at 5am(almost coldest time of day) to go to work. I also have small children that have to get into my vehicle to go to daycare before i go to work. My car needs to be warmed ahead of time and I would rather it be warmed without my key inside of it. But, yes I agree that you do not need an autostarter if you live somewhere like Florida or another place where it doesn't get cold.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you're concerned about warranty, let the dealer install a Mopar one. It's (as far as I know) covered during the basic warranty period of 3 years. That's even better than worrying about voiding the warranty :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts