My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I fixed the problem by trading the Compass on a new Ram 8) 8)

The noisy brakes didn't happen every time I reversed but it was often (weekly for sure).

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Screeching Brakes when reversing

I have seen this on Google results so I know I am not the only one with that. I am not certain what year it started but I have never hear it on any vehicle in my life.

What solution did you find. Scuffing the pad edges or what. The brakes aren't worn and rear pad typically out last several front set. So what did Chrysler screw up here. Dealers say servicing and resurfacing is required. Why?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Yeah my thoughts exactly. I got this from two difference dealers. I have never had a vehicle do that and with over 100k on the clock. Who else has had or still has this problem when backing out?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Unfortunately I have the same problem. Mine has only 21000km on it. Also the local dealership as well as a tire place I went to both said the brake pads are not uneven or worn out. It happens when I have just started it in the morning, or when I have just washed the car. But it doesnt happen every day which is weird, only about 1/4 of the time. I guess its early days so to speak so it will probably get worse. What can be done?? I think there was another thread on here about this issue, but there was no solution mentioned. Certainly makes the car sound like a heap of junk for a couple of seconds as I pull out of the car wash...

Tripplec it would be good to hear from someone who has tried the resurfacing that u mentioned. I would do it for sure if it was guaranteed to fix the problem.. Its my one and only gripe about the car. (Ok there is the CVT but I can totally live with that)... Brakes that squeal like a city bus is unacceptable..

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The dealer wanted $129 plus taxes to do this service. Thats per axle but we know its on the rear. No way, I can pull the wheel and calipers myself and have a go at them. Then go out and buy a case of beer and have dinner out.

Its been so hot and humid that the sweat pours off me in a half hour. I'll wait until its cooler so I won't have to rush. A lot of pads these days have a bevel (tappered at both ends) I don't think these rear ones do. If not I was going to take the edge off the rear side for sure with emery paper, course grit of and maybe rough the surface of the pad with it as well.

It never does it going forward only reverse and never when warm or hot after driving. That is why I think its something to do with the trailing edge of the pad. Maybe the calipers have a design problem. I hope its not a Teves issue like the Grand Cherokees had for years. Many were swapped due to warping.

This Compass started doing it when I got it the dealer at 29k and They are way out of town and I though it was covered by warranty, NOT so I am stuck with it now or at least for now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have this from time to time. It actually seems to be a humidity issue in my case.
Does it on my Vibe as well.

Secret is to never park the car for more than 20 minutes:p

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have 35K on mine and I haven't heard a thing out of my brakes. If the rear brakes are outlasting front brakes I wonder if there is a bias problem with the brake system. Too much pressure to front and not enough to back.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thats odd Smokey isnt it. 4 of us have the same year (09) but only 3 have the screechng brakes... I would try the 'scuffing' of the pads but I'm not that handy with cars... Would love to hear how TripplC goes with it.. I'll take it down to my usual repair place and get them to do it, if it works...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I thought it was odd, especially since I do so many back roads and stuff. Dust and mud definately don't help the brakes out. Makes me wonder where they were manufactured and when. I know mine was made Oct 2008.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine came off the line 1st Nov 2008. Pretty much the same time as yours Smokey, mind you mine has crossed the Pacific (arrived at Chinese port 31 Dec). For some reason you seem to have gotten a good one...

Ironwood may have a point about the humidity, after it rains you can count on the brakes screeching, but other times its hit and miss. Pretty annoying when the car is only 18 months old and only 21K on the clock. It wasnt even driven til June 09...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Temps in the around 19C and dew around this morning. I watch the Compass being backed out this morning and now squealing brakes. I had not done anything yet to them. Maybe they worn past a hard spot or scuffed themselves from some hard braking lately. Interesting, I keep and ear out.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I saw there was already a previous thread on this, so I put the two together. :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Compass too makes that noise only in reverse !!

Only problem is mine broke down tonight in my driveway whilst trying to go to shop to get dinner - tried eveything to get it going. now have to have it towed to the dealer tomorrow - am going to get them to look at the brakes while it is there.

5 months out of warranty too :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Noisy Brakes............

Well my 3 Cents here, aside from dealing with Rear Toe Links and Control Arms just last week. Having the Car into the Dealership to rectify that problem I did ask to check how much life was left in the Brake Pads. The Rear Pads were fine , got 20% left on the Front Pads. But Noisy Brake pads , well to begin with I have bush all around my Home so when it's Damp out I can guarantee my Brakes will squeal backing out of the laneway. Same with the Tire Air Pressure Sensor during the Fall & Winter Months, the little idiot light on the dash will stay on until the Tires warm up and same deal with the B / Pads once you've gone a couple miles down the road no more lights, no more squeals........:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
noisy brakes here too

My 2012 Jeep Compass has really noisy brakes when slowly backing also. I have had my dealer check them 2 times. They never hear the noise. I think they back up too fast, not like they are backing cautiously. Terrible noise! It has done it since the first month I drove it from the dealer. It has 16k miles now and it just gets louder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a jeep compass 2012 with only 7,000 km (about 4,300 miles) and it's been doing a really annyoing noise while I apply the brakes on reverse since it had 200km. I took it back to the dealership back then (7 months ago) they checked it and they said it was normal.

Back then it only did the noise when it was cold, but now it does it everytime I go on reverse and I apply the brakes, and it's getting louder everytime. I'm afraid that when I take it back to the dealer again, they're just going to make something to fix the issue for a couple of weeks and then the noise will come back.

I'm really disappointed with my jeep compass, I've taken it back to the dealer in these 7 months 6 times, mostly because of plastic and brake noises, a loose part in the front suspension, etc.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Its the pads they use. I had it on my Compass when I got it and after a while it gets noisey. Once out of warranty they say they need to be service at $125 or such.

PS: Its not normal, no noise is. Switch to a different dealer for service. Brakes have a limited warranty by the way.

I put ceramic pad on and after they seated in after some driving no more noise. The way it was you could wake the street backing out in the morning. No sneaking out at all thats for sure. I am surprise they have not changed them by now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
squealing in reverse

So I'm a 2012 Jeep Compass owner and right from the start I noticed some squealing while backing out of my driveway. I've taken the jeep in twice now, they've cleaned the back brakes/rotors and it disappears...for awhile. Now it's started again. What is this? My question is if you have dust/dirt getting in the pads why is it squealing only in reverse when I don't have the brakes on? I have NEVER EVER experienced this with any of my other vehicles and it is embarassing when you drive a brand spanken new vehicle over $30K and this noise happens lol

Any input is appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
So I'm a 2012 Jeep Compass owner and right from the start I noticed some squealing while backing out of my driveway. I've taken the jeep in twice now, they've cleaned the back brakes/rotors and it disappears...for awhile. Now it's started again. What is this? My question is if you have dust/dirt getting in the pads why is it squealing only in reverse when I don't have the brakes on? I have NEVER EVER experienced this with any of my other vehicles and it is embarassing when you drive a brand spanken new vehicle over $30K and this noise happens lol

Any input is appreciated :)
LOL
Well I had that on mine for quite a while and it was past the warranty on the brakes. Put on new ceramic pads and its gone in the rear. It had been a problem for a very long time. If you still have the warranty have them replace the pads. The wanted to charge me to clean the brakes but thats no likely to last past driving out the lot.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts