My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I just never noticed this before, but I was adjusting the underglow lights on my car and came upon this really strange looking part. I'm not really a mechanic, so maybe it's something obvious, But I don't every remember seeing it before and it's being held up with regular masking tape.
Maybe it has something to do with the airbag system.

Does anyone know what it is?

Does your compass have one too?

btw if it's not clear, it's in the front right fender.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, I it has a red button on it to take it apart, but I don't think it's a good idea. To do that unless I know for sure. It's just kinda awkward, especially since it's held on with masking tape, I would assume the factory install something a little more secure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's what it is, an Ambient Temp Sensor. A person over at JeepForum has the diagrams on it. But in the diagram there is a plastic coil to cover the wires and no masking tape lol

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mystery part?

Looks to me like your Compass musta been completed & inspected on a Friday afternoon!!
What an embarrassment for the Belvedere Plant.
Did you go by your dealer for an explanation? An apology?
You gotta let us know what gives with the masking tape?
Can’t they afford duct tape? (LOL)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't get carried away...

The connector is attached to the panel by what is known in the auto business as a "Christmas tree". It's a multi tabbed plastic fastener that pushed into a hole in the panel. It's slightly visible at the top of the connector. The tape is used to locate the harness and hold it in place prior to making an electrical connection and installation of the "Christmas tree" in the locating hole. This is a very common production technique. The tape is not removed, even though it's function is no longer necessary after the attachment is made. ALL vehicles, not just low dollar Jeeps use these techniques in their assembly processes.

Don't embarrass yourself by making a fuss at your dealer over this, you'll look foolish, and lose credibility for an issue you may need in the future...

·
Registered
14 Posts
looks like love bugs on the grill, have your car detailed and have them add ZYLON to your bumper, grill, windshield, and top front of your roof. The love bugs will just wash right off with a garden hose. Trust me I live in Deland,FL

Unitinbypass

1 - 8 of 8 Posts