My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching a lot online and have not been able to find any ladder that can be attached to a compass? Can anyone put me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Attaching a ladder to a Compass is like attaching a ladder to a Honda Civic... what could you possibly want a ladder for? Just to build out your mall crawler?

If you are legitimately putting cargo on the roof I like to just open a rear passenger door on either side and step carefully on the sill. That's how I load and unload our skis and gear from the Thule box.

The Compass does not have a strong roof, and its not a very large roof, it can't hold a lot and its not very high off the ground.. So I don't think ladder companies are too interested when there isn't much of a market there. That being said, there's always custom shops that everyone seems to forget about. Simple projects like that are right up their allies. You could also check if anyone has made one for the Renegade as they are similar-ish and that is the type of off-road-poser equipment that is right in a Renegade's wheelhouse so it wouldn't surprise me if there was an option there that potentially could be adapted. Still going to require a bit of custom work either way I'm sure, and its still going to be non-functional poser equipment.

Even if you did get a custom ladder made there is really no place I can see on the Compass where it would make sense to mount it. The passenger doors are right in the meat of the prime cargo area, you aren't going to put a ladder over a passenger door obviously but putting a ladder after the back doors is too far rearward to be useful. Same with a ladder on the tailgate, you aren't going to be able to reach the main rooftop cargo real estate from the tailgate. It would serve no viable function whatsoever. Where did you even get this goofy idea from? Did you bump your head and forget you don't own a lifted Wrangler or a tall Sprinter van?

Here is one last honest tip if you legitimately are frequently loading and unloading things from your Compass roof: While standing on the passenger door sill is my personal favorite because it puts you right in the middle of the roof with good reach to everything, you can also stand on the rear tire (if you are careful), use the roof rail as a grab handle to hoist yourself up (but a little hop from the ground helps too). Have to be careful of slippery sand and snow on the tire when doing this, and that you don't lean into the body of the car with metal zippers/rivets on your clothing to scratch stuff up. Still works in a pinch (ie, the car is locked and you don't have the key handy).

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
89 Posts
That is handy. I know they give the capacity for the unit but may want to check with Mopar to see the weight capacity of the latch as attached to the door.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
79 Posts
That is handy. I know they give the capacity for the unit but may want to check with Mopar to see the weight capacity of the latch as attached to the door.
Apparently vehicle door latches are part of the crash safety systems and are required to handle 2000lbs of force.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
89 Posts
Apparently vehicle door latches are part of the crash safety systems and are required to handle 2000lbs of force.
That is good. Usually a component is tested and is secured well to get its rating but not necessarily how it is attached or how it is used. Sounds like you are good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am not sure where my previous post on went. Maybe it didn't finish posting properly. Oh well. If you can build something like a hitch mounted swing carrier then you could attach a hoop style ladder to that. It wouldn't actually connect to the roof but would allow you access.
Something like this

·
Registered
2019 Compass Trailhawk w/ crappy headlights
16 Posts
i just use the tire mounted step and side sill, then step on the tire if i need more reach. i'm 5' 9"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts