My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Jeep Compass Sport 2018 (18k miles) and the rear backup camera sometimes shows blank.

I went to the dealership to have the issue addressed and they upgraded the firmware. And then a few months later. It happened again while I am at Walmart. When I reached home, I turned off the engine, then waited for around 15 minutes later, then the rear backup camera worked.

Funny thing is that the $94 digital wireless backup camera that I bought from Amazon and I installed on my wife's 2006 Hyundai Tucson is more reliable (never encountered a blank screen) than the backup camera of my Jeep Compass Sport.

Any method I can try to ensure that the rear backup camera of my Jeep Compass Sport will not go blank again? The problem is intermittent and can't be reproduced on a controllable manner.

I had been on occasions where I had passengers and they see that the backup camera goes blank, and get comments which sometimes made me regret on getting a Jeep.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same issue. Doesn’t work one day but works the next. Every time my appointment at the dealership comes up, it’s working again so they don’t do anything.

·
Registered
61 Posts
after more research it appears this isn’t an uncommon problem. Happens in wranglers grand cherokees and dodge journeys. I assume all use the same camera.
Apparently federal law mandates that a rear view camera must be displayed within 2 seconds of being shifted into reverse. May have a law suit. On the wrangler forum episode stated they had to demand outright replacements of parts and “get in their face” to get results. I will be contacting my lawyer and I will have an update eventually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts