My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2019 Jeep Compass Trailhawk with only 18.000 miles. I have oil leaking at the rear differential. It is exactly in the central area, the one with the driveshaft. The problem is that I asked Jeep Romania, and other services from my country, and no one finds a seal as a replacement for this problem. There is no spare part for that. Just replace the whole differential :( Unfortunately in my country the cost of this differential is 4500$. These are the answers received so far at least ... the big request is if anyone encountered this problem, knows or has fix the differential, and knows what part / sealing exists inside and how I can get it ...

Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Jeep Compass Trailhawk with only 18.000 miles. I have oil leaking at the rear differential. It is exactly in the central area, the one with the driveshaft. The problem is that I asked Jeep Romania, and other services from my country, and no one finds a seal as a replacement for this problem. There is no spare part for that. Just replace the whole differential :( Unfortunately in my country the cost of this differential is 4500$. These are the answers received so far at least ... the big request is if anyone encountered this problem, knows or has fix the differential, and knows what part / sealing exists inside and how I can get it ...

Thank you!
Confirmed by the Factory in India Rear differential is non serviceable part unfortunately will make a hole in the pocket we have to replace the whole differential

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Confirmed by the Factory in India Rear differential is non serviceable part unfortunately will make a hole in the pocket we have to replace the whole differential
DO NOT pay/replace that differential.
If the car is no longer under warranty, don't pay for a new differential just for this simple and common oil leak. I will explain the whole story in detail below. The whole problem and how it can be solved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This leak is common in differentials. Most differentials from other brands on the market have a spare part/sealing, and can be repaired very easily. Unfortunately, it seems that those from Mopar/Jeep/Fiat have done something very bad and can be called into question by consumer protection. That's right, there is no diagram, service plan and no spare part/seal for sale on the market. It is a problem encountered all over the world. To clients from Europe, Brazil, USA, India, etc. And the only answer from Jeep is that the differential must be replaced. If it is under warranty... if not, on your money. And it costs a lot of money. From 750 USD in the USA, to 4 000 Euro in Romania.

I solved the problem myself. It's really simple. But it was very difficult to find the solution. In short, the differential opens exactly in the area where it leaks. On the pinion.

I will attach some videos found after 2 weeks of research, from some suffering friends from Brazil. They explain in detail how to solve the problem. The difference is that I actually managed to take it apart easily, without taking it down or heating it, as seen in the video.

The original seal does not exist on the market. It is made by Freudenberg. I contacted them and they told me that the seal is blocked from being sold by the client. The seal has dimensions 45x65x10/16. I replaced it with a Corteco seal for BMW, with dimensions 45x65x10/14. Almost identical.
Those from Brazil, from what I saw in the video, put a much more common and simple seal.
The car holds up well, runs perfectly, and has never had a leak after.

All you have to do is look for some guys from any service, show them these videos and the seal, and it will be solved in a maximum of two hours.
That nut around the pinion opens the other way around. And it can be opened with a 41mm key. Personally, I unscrewed it after I put the driveshaft in place so that it would hold against it. Anyway, watch the video very carefully and everything will be simple after that.

I replaced it with this seal:
Wood Font Rim Circle Auto part

Cheers and good luck!(y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts