My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get some weird creaking and odd knock from underneath when moving slow over irregular terrain. I check around the engine underneath yesterday prying up on the casings but it barely moves. I don't see that its the motor mounts.

the rear end has many arms and pivoting points which I cannot verify with it on a ramp. One short arm with pin bolt through about a 12" eye rod at right side seems like is slight out of position in the channel and rubber sticking out a bit.

I cannot find any parts sites so far with a blow up exploded view to identify what the parts are called or oem numbers for after market location. Anyone come across one somewhere?

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
Rear toe link bushings could be causing the sound, they were on mine until I replaced them, sadly I don't have any pictures that I've been able to find for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just had the dealership replace both of my rear lateral lower controll arms. I had a squeek and creaking from my rear passanger side. It eneded up being the bushing that attached to the spindle from the lower lateral control arm. So under warranty i had both sides replaced.and now no squeek. Why these points dont have grease fittings is beyond me. Summer mod!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its hard to pin point which ones are doing it. Finding a parts break out source so I can order a part or whatever would be helpful. All the steel is covered in rust so the rubber or pivot points must be dry in there.

Ok I did some more hunting and came up with this. Its poor especially for Chrysler parts LOL. But I can see some parts but not necessarily where they connect. I am thinking the one I saw not looking right was #22. Anyway here it is.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=603187&ukey_make=1064&ukey_model=15528&modelYear=2009&ukey_category=20317

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it for a drive and at slow speeds. Holes and deep dips generate solid clunks, more on the passenger side front. Also further back at times.
Seems like this is constantly falling apart. It never gets all fixed up with new issues showing up. I am going to have someone look at it I think.

I jacked the front wheel and it feels all tight.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear suspension

I created this Word Doc. Picture and parts listing based on Jeeps data with all details that were in it.

I might help at the parts counter trying to locate the correct part.

Sorry this is a bit absurd. This site will not accept .DOCX Word format. So I converted to DOC. Now the file size exceeds the <200kb limit.

Hence the attachment is not available as intended.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Note if you're getting knocking from the front after installing new sway bar links. I put on AC delco this time rather than Memotech. I am not certain if the post diameter are the same however. The hole in the strut is larger than the post and if you don't tighten it well it will move up and down in that hole and know worst than you had. I couldn't figure out what was going on since most of the front end is new. Well using an allen key in the post to hold it from turning is BS. Can't be done. I tighten the nuts on the post well without using the allen and the front knocking is now gone.

For the rear I have whats called a tie rod (about 7" long) which a bolt on each end goes through. The bussing is wore on one side and its moved over rubbing on the channel its bolted to. I am replacing that tomorrow expect pretty much everything would be ok. After the above tightening etc it was phenomenally quieter driving to town for the tie arm.

Oh yes, check that you jack in the tire compartment is well tighten down if loose even a bit it will knock also against the rim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts