My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends. Ran into a new issue besides stalling and burning oil.

My rear view camera occasionally just doesn’t work. Went to the dealership, showed supervisor, was told to make an appointment for a week later, yet now it’s working so they say they won’t do anything. And they tell me I will always have to make an appointment, and they wouldn’t be able to see it day of me showing it isn’t working. And this is the second time I made an appointment when it was not working, then it was working the day of the appointment.
Has anyone else had the rear view camera issue?

·
Registered
90 Posts

My rear view camera occasionally just doesn’t work. Went to the dealership, showed supervisor, was told to make an appointment for a week later, yet now it’s working so they say they won’t do anything. And they tell me I will always have to make an appointment, and they wouldn’t be able to see it day of me showing it isn’t working. And this is the second time I made an appointment when it was not working, then it was working the day of the appointment.

No,

·
Registered
48 Posts

Sorry to hear you are having issues, Julsch. From your instagram, looks like you've been doing a lot of off-roading. I would suggest poking around near the connectors and see if maybe a contact has corroded. I believe there may be a wiring 'junction box' under the trunk near the bumper for distributing circuits to the rear lights. Wiring issues can be expensive because they take a lot of time to identify the issue. Good luck!

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
867 Posts
I have had that issue on another vehicle. When you start it let everything boot up. Then put it in reverse. If I fire it up and throw into reverse mine does not like to work. Worth a try.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After hours of arguing with the dealership they contacted FCA directly. Their tech team stated they are aware cameras are malfunctioning and it is a software error that will have an update by the end of the month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same back up camera issue on a 2018 compass trailhawk. The blank back up screen first appeared at about 35000km and the vehicle now has 55000km. 4 trips to dealer so far. Replaced rear camera, rear wiring harness, software update and the problem still occurs. It is the only problem I have had so am very pleased with the vehicle. I would like to have a reliable back up camera.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After hours of arguing with the dealership they contacted FCA directly. Their tech team stated they are aware cameras are malfunctioning and it is a software error that will have an update by the end of the month.
This camera issue has been happening to me a lot lately. Did you ever hear anything back from the dealer regarding that update?

·
Registered
85 Posts
same here, very frustrated :mad: hoping someone has an answer. we've had intermittent screen/connection issues since new (like most everyone), but never a completely blank screen from the back up camera. when the start/stop battery was replaced May 2021, I mentioned the Uconnect issues, so they did an update which imo has made the frequency of issues happening worse and now this. Of course now we are just outside the 3year warranty. I'm hoping when I replace the main battery it may resolve some of this.
I have had that issue on another vehicle. When you start it let everything boot up. Then put it in reverse. If I fire it up and throw into reverse mine does not like to work. Worth a try.
Thanks, will let the wife know, she has it in reverse before the instrument cluster comes up lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all! My 2018 Compass Traihawk had no original back view camera. As far as I remember, Jeep explained that a real off-road vehicle may not have a back view camera because it will be dirty always. I think it's the same type of story as with a standard front towing shackle that was excluded from an emergency pack (because in deed and not in name, hauling tore Compass' bumpers off.
When I bought my Compass, an official Jeep's dealer installed a China's camera and it works well for a half year. Then it sometimes showed a black screen and very often did a very bad thing - it transmitted view slowly than really. I visited an official Jeep's dealer two months ago and they updated the firmware and made a full reset of it but the camera continued to work badly. A month ago I replaced the camera in a good car workshop. The new camera is different - it is "fisheye" and better sees in the dark. It had been working perfectly for a couple of weeks and then started to do the same things as the previous one.
It would be awesome to hear FCA's reply...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Yes - June 2022 - intermittent failure.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass Latitude 4X4
7 Posts
Our backup camera would sometimes not come up (black screen), and it was getting more frequent. I ended up taking the tailgate apart, unplugged the camera, and plugged it back in using some DeoxIT on the contacts. It's been just fine ever since.
I did what you suggested and still 93% of the time it's blank. But the words 'something about your surroundings' appears like normal. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
157 Posts
I get the occasional "Camera Not In Position" message before the "Check Your Surroundings"

I think this is to do with having the tailgate open. (Even though when I get that message, the boot is closed.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
just got back from dealer same issue -- replaced radio for delamination and then I got the same camera errors.

They replaced camera had same issue -- I was told over the air update should be coming to address issue

Chrysler bulletin 08-076-22 should be out within 3 weeks.

If still an issue need to go back and see if dealer can download fix and manually update.

Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts