My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to take apart the black plastic surround that is between the rear view mirror and windshield? I need to get to the wiring so I can tap into the 12v and ground for my radar detector and driving cam. I know it comes apart in half but don't want to break it. Only have 200 miles on it so I don't want to brake something already ha. Thank you.

-Frank

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's $15 from the dealer if you break it, I just used a plastic pry tool and split the halves. Didn't break anything, nothing much back there anyways. I prefer using an add-a-fuse and 12v to USB cord (from Amazon) under dash, up A pillar, across headliner and back down behind the cover is how the power wire for my dash cam is ran.

I have a post with pictures, specifically for the a pillar due to there being an airbag behind it, you don't want to just stuff the wire behind the plastic, I zip tied mine to the rear washer fluid hose that way it's safe and out of the way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
specifically for the a pillar due to there being an airbag behind it, you don't want to just stuff the wire behind the plastic, I zip tied mine to the rear washer fluid hose that way it's safe and out of the way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Oops.................I just tucked the dash cam wire in behind it cover, up the A frame and across the top of the windshield. Ya, I knew there was an airbag in there. Thats why I didn't push the wire in too far, or with anything metallic. (BOOM!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer using an add-a-fuse and 12v to USB cord (from Amazon) under dash, up A pillar, across headliner and back down behind the cover is how the power wire for my dash cam is ran.
I have a post with pictures, specifically for the a pillar due to there being an airbag behind it, you don't want to just stuff the wire behind the plastic, I zip tied mine to the rear washer fluid hose that way it's safe and out of the way.
Thanks for information.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This camera uses the OBD to get power. It's normal 12V outlet (you could also use the cigarette lighter to get power for the cam).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts