My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid question, but i dont know what to do. The rear window wiper arm rattles, not violently or anything, but it rattles when i go over the slightest bump. It seems like it needs to be tightened somehow. Hopefully someone else on her has had this problem. Hopefully its nothing serious like a shattered motor housing or anything. Anyone know what to do? thank you!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Take it to a dealer or a local mechanic. You can SNAFU your rear glass if you over tighten the mountings. Any thing that goes through glass is not for the un schooled. Look up the diagram of how it's mounted prior to DIY.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much. Do you have any idea what it might be?? What would you do if you were me? After reading what you said, im glad i asked the question here first before trying myself haha

·
Registered
169 Posts
Something I would recommend is to check the tension of the spring that holds the wiper against the window. If its loose, you might experience what your talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Actually, and I'm going to have to look this up, wasn't there a TSB on this, but let me see what I can find. And you're sure it's the wiper arm? Does anything feel loose upon inspection? Let me see if something like this is on my list of recalls/TSB's....

- Cherokee

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you guys very much. I checked it and yes it is the wiper, not just the arm, but the whole assembly. Its the wiper all together. I dont know how to explain it. If you grab the whole wiper arm by the mount that goes through the window into the motor, it wiggles, almost as if there should be a rubber grommet of some sort around the cut in the window to keep it from wiggling. I apologize for my lack of knowledge about this and my crappy ability of describing it. Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Even said:
I apologize for my lack of knowledge
Never apologize my friend this is the main reason of this forum.........friends helping friends.......... Glad we could help !!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I looked through my TSB list and the only thing I could find was the license plate rattle. I didn't see anything that pertained to this problem.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Yeah, I found the license plate rattle, too, and also the liftgate rattle (liftgate bushings), but, and I was going back on memory when I took mine in for the first service, I had 3 TSB's: ABS module, fuse box (engine bay), and seat track, and I am going to keep looking, because I really do want to say there was something out on the wiper linkage bushing not being tightened properly??? My curiosity is killing me now....but I'm gonna find it!

- Cherokee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts