My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just "ordered" a 2018 Compass Trailhawk (through Carmax .. it's actually a transfer, not an order), and am super excited about it. Looks like a fantastic vehicle.

I want to install a dashcam, and am wondering if anyone has disassembled the auto-dimming mirror and located a switched +12v wire, and/or has access to a wiring diagram.

I want to have a very clean install using posi-tap's from wires feeding the rear-view mirror, to a 12v to 5v/USB converter box, and mount the dashcam as far up hidden by the mirror as possible.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi,

Just "ordered" a 2018 Compass Trailhawk (through Carmax .. it's actually a transfer, not an order), and am super excited about it. Looks like a fantastic vehicle.

I want to install a dashcam, and am wondering if anyone has disassembled the auto-dimming mirror and located a switched +12v wire, and/or has access to a wiring diagram.

I want to have a very clean install using posi-tap's from wires feeding the rear-view mirror, to a 12v to 5v/USB converter box, and mount the dashcam as far up hidden by the mirror as possible.
I just ran a add-a-fuse tap off the fuse block under the dash, ran the wire up the A pillar, tucked behind headliner and down behind the mirror behind the stupid plastic sensor cover. Pretty easy.

Pictures of accessing the fuse box and removing a-pillar are in this post.

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/2nd-gen-jeep-compass-forum-general-discussion/40017-how-access-interior-fuse-panel-remove-pillar.html#/topics/40017

Also you're only spot to mount the cam is directly below the sensor cover behind the mirror. If you put it next to the cover all the way at the top the sensor cover blocks 50% of your camera view. I originally wanted mine there but realized it was a no go. I just got a low profile suction cup mount until I decide I want it there permanently.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For what it's worth I finally got around to doing this. The powered mirror only has 3 wires going to it, white, black, and multicolor stripe. I tapped 12v from the black and multicolored one, using a 12v to 5v (USB) inline adapter ("SimpleUSBCable 12V to MiniUSB Two-Prong Universal Dashcam Adapter" by Dongar Industries on Amazon). This was a two channel (front and rear) dashcam and running the cable to the rear took some doing, but all in all happy with the install

1 - 4 of 4 Posts