My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Remote Start

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Trisha89 
#1 ·
My 2019 Jeep Compass only allows two starts with the remote start function. Is there any way to override this so that I can start it multiple times if necessary? I live in Northern Canada, and sometimes in winter, two fifteen minute starts just don't thaw out the windows etc. Also, why only 15 minutes? I'd like it to start and run till I shut it down!

#2 ·
No. There are really no remote start systems that will run indefinitely, its an idiot-proofing measure to keep the car from running out of gas when people let their snot-nosed children naw on the fob like a chew toy, or from killing the dog in the garage from accidentally starting and running it too long in an enclosed space.

Even if it could run for more than half an hour, are you seriously going to let your car run for 45-minutes to an hour rather than go out there and get out your stinkin scraper for three minutes? Have you just recently moved up north from Florida or something?

This little four cylinder does not produce enough heat at idle to do much defrosting during the true cold part of winter. Once it gets to 20 below mine doesn't come up to full operating temp even running on the highway.

Once it gets truly cold out the remote start is more a kindness to the engine and transmission than for driver comfort and defrosting, although it does try and works fine above 0 degrees.

It would probably be more efficient to have a small electric space heater in the car on a heavy extension cord ran to the house you can just plug in if you want to get the inside toasty and melt some ice off the windows. Still do the remote start once to get the oil and transmission fluid swirling but when its this cold you won't really get much out of the heater until you get going on the road.

#3 ·
No. There are really no remote start systems that will run indefinitely, its an idiot-proofing measure to keep the car from running out of gas when people let their snot-nosed children naw on the fob like a chew toy, or from killing the dog in the garage from accidentally starting and running it too long in an enclosed space.

Even if it could run for more than half an hour, are you seriously going to let your car run for 45-minutes to an hour rather than go out there and get out your stinkin scraper for three minutes? Have you just recently moved up north from Florida or something?

This little four cylinder does not produce enough heat at idle to do much defrosting during the true cold part of winter. Once it gets to 20 below mine doesn't come up to full operating temp even running on the highway.

Once it gets truly cold out the remote start is more a kindness to the engine and transmission than for driver comfort and defrosting, although it does try and works fine above 0 degrees.

It would probably be more efficient to have a small electric space heater in the car on a heavy extension cord ran to the house you can just plug in if you want to get the inside toasty and melt some ice off the windows. Still do the remote start once to get the oil and transmission fluid swirling but when its this cold you won't really get much out of the heater until you get going on the road.

As a matter of fact, I just checked this morning with an installer who sells aftermarket remote start systems. I can get one that is compatible with the existing system. Can be set to stay running as long as you like. Allows you to start your car as many times as you want. It can start your car from up to a mile away. Recently we had a spell of -35 to -40. Once my Jeep Compass is running it will cook you out even at -30, if you don't regulate the temperature. That's with a modern 2.2 liter, 4Cylinder engine producing 250 horsepower. In weather this cold, I would like to be able to start my car at least a half-hour, possibly 45 minutes before having to drive away. At that point, things are warm enough that the side windows do not frost up and the windshield and back window stay clear. It's a safety thing.

#4 ·
Bill Studley said:
I can get one that is compatible with the existing system. Can be set to stay running as long as you like.
Not likely.

Bill Studley said:
Allows you to start your car as many times as you want.
Maybe, I don't have direct experience with every remote start brand in the world, still unlikely base on my experience.

Bill Studley said:
That's with a modern 2.2 liter, 4Cylinder engine producing 250 horsepower.
What are you smoking? You have a wholesale bargain-bin 2.4 liter making 180 horsepower just like all the rest of us in north america. You don't know what you are talking about.

#5 ·
Not likely.

Maybe, I don't have direct experience with every remote start brand in the world, still unlikely base on my experience.

What are you smoking? You have a wholesale bargain-bin 2.4 liter making 180 horsepower just like all the rest of us in north america. You don't know what you are talking about.
Right, I misread the stats on the engine. No need to be a prick about it. If that

#7 ·
is your attitude, just go away.
After thinking on it a while I am back here posting to apologize. I have a bad habit of typing rude things and not thinking before I hit the button.

If you do end up getting an aftermarket remote start kit of some kind many of us here would be curious to know the details and how it works out. You would be the first person I have heard of to do anything like that on here, most are making do with the factory remote start option.

#8 ·
Apology accepted. Yes, you may be sure that I'll post the details. Brand name, model and how well it works. The Local Speedy Glass shop is the dealer and they gave me the details. It can be set to let the vehicle run for up to 1 hour, and do not limit the number of times you can start with the remote. Also, they advertise that you can start your vehicle from up to a mile away. I had one of their systems on my 2011 Chev Silverado, and I started the truck many times from 1/2 mile away, just to show that I could.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.