• Waste of keychain space.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had one, but was wondering if they are all they are cracked up to be.

I'm sure that Jeep has one that can be installed, although not 100% sure on this point.

What are people's thoughts on these gadgets?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Let me start off by saying that I live where we get winter for what seems to be 7 months a year..... brrr.....

I've had them before. In my opinion, they're convenient, but not necessary. Most people I talk to can't live without them. But realistically you don't need to warm up a vehicle for more than 30 seconds to 2 minutes, so it's a waste of money for that. If you run your vehicle for longer, you're just polluting more and wasting gas.

I know that lots of people who let their cars warm up for like 10 minutes or longer, that's just wasteful.

<rant over>

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went to a Mickey Shorr's (they're a car radio, etc installer throughout
Michigan) and they wanted $269 for a starter installed. They also needed
my other key, so that the chip from it cud be inserted into the unit.
And, it wud take 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Ouch, ouch and double ouch. I promised
my wife that I wud have one put in her Compass, but at those prices, I
can do without.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did get one on mine before it was delivered to me, and I totally love it. I can be on the 4th floor, go to the window, and start my jeep up from there. sweet! It's a nice feature if you live somewhere that has the potential to get really REALLY cold

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...Calgary broke the record for low temps today! Well....the record from 110 years ago.

This morning, it was -37 degrees C!!!!! Can we say COLD?

The speakers didn't like it, it started, but didn't want to, and the tire sensors went crazy! With that said, they all went back to normal after 10 minutes or so.
For the 'yanks' in our little family, that's -37 degree Celsius = -34.6 degree Fahrenheit

That by the way was BEFORE the wind chill.

All I can say is "Get me the hell south to visit my dad in Arizona!"

·
Registered
362 Posts
welshfyr said:
So...Calgary broke the record for low temps today! Well....the record from 110 years ago.
This morning, it was -37 degrees C!!!!! Can we say COLD?...
I hear ya. I'm one province to the east and it's been f*****g cold lately. Not that bad though.

I just got back from Vegas and Texas about a week and a half ago. I'm seriously wondering why I live here. Really.

·
Registered
80 Posts
welshfyr said:

This morning, it was -37 degrees C!!!!! Can we say COLD?

The speakers didn't like it, it started, but didn't want to, and the tire sensors went crazy! With that said, they all went back to normal after 10 minutes or so.
For the 'yanks' in our little family, that's -37 degree Celsius = -34.6 degree Fahrenheit

That by the way was BEFORE the wind chill.

All I can say is "Get me the hell south to visit my dad in Arizona!"
sounds like you got the 'chill' that my son had been experiencing up in Fairbanks, Alaska recently ... the high last Friday was -19F ... it's warmer today, all the way up to +7F.

just think ... it's only November! the best is yet to come.

it's been unseasonably warm here in the northeast us ... although that's supposed to change by the weekend. as an avid skier/snowshoer, I'm hoping for a snowy snowy snowy winter.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was living in Whitehorse, Yukon for 2 years. It was getting down to -52c. We were leaving our vehicles running all day because they were parked in a dirt lot with no plug-ins. My block heater cord snapped because it was so cold and I had to re-attach it, outside, at night. One of the managers had an old 80's 1/2 ton. The glass in the back window shrunk in the cold. When he started driving down the road it was rattling in the frame and blew out.

When it gets past -40 things stop working right on your vechile. The air in the tires shrink causing a flat spot in the wheel. If you start driving too quickly you'll either blow the seam or blow the tire.

·
Registered
362 Posts
rommel543 said:
...When it gets past -40 things stop working right on your vechile. The air in the tires shrink causing a flat spot in the wheel. If you start driving too quickly you'll either blow the seam or blow the tire.
I've had that happen (flat spots). It's kind of neat to hear the tires go fwump, fwump, fwump down the road for a few minutes 8)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Webmaster said:
I've had that happen (flat spots). It's kind of neat to hear the tires go fwump, fwump, fwump down the road for a few minutes 8)
It gets more noticable the colder it gets. It feels like you're driving over large rocks at -50. You also have to make sure that ALL your tires are moving to. I dragged one wheel for about 2 blocks because the flat spot got so bad the wheel would't turn.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i'll report my opinion on the remote start when we get some snow and cold weather here in PA.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Big waste

Big waste of keychain space not to mention FUEL!
Compass starts well when cold and warms up quickly.
Unattended car should NEVER be left with the motor running.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Big waste of keychain space not to mention FUEL!
Compass starts well when cold and warms up quickly.
Unattended car should NEVER be left with the motor running.
leaving the car unattended while running is now problem cuz the door lock when the remote start is used.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts