My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated, my head unit is the RES 130S. Not the greatest, but looks to be a great base from which to build a system around...one that passers by in parking lots won't suspect anything worth stealing is in the vehicle. I've built a number of systems using stock head units as the base...and they've all sounded really nice.

Anyway, my 2016 Compass Sport came with this base system with full range speakers in the doors only. While they had some bass, the sound was quite muddy. I picked up 2 pairs of Alpine SPJ-691C3 on sale for $39.99 per pair, along with 2 pair of Metra 72-6514 speaker harnesses for $6.24 each. After adding the harnesses to the speakers, my son and I had all four speakers replaced in under 15 minutes. It was an extremely simple swap...one that was a huge improvement over the stock full range speakers.

I've been running the speakers through their paces, playing a large number of different genres of music, and they sound great.

I do plan on adding an amplifier in the future, as soon as I figure out how I'm going to get it done. I've been looking at the Kicker 400.4 amplifier, thinking it would be great for my needs, so long as I can find a place to stow it so it's not out in the open, or in the way elsewhere. I'll also eventually add an 8" or 10" sub to the back, once I decide on a plan of attack.

If anyone is looking for a good set of speakers to replace what's in the doors now, the speakers I listed above are as near perfect fits as you can get.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wouldn't say no to a few pictures of your new speakers. grin:
no fitment issues at all, they fit snug just like the OEM speakers?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't take pictures, because it was colder than well digger's buttcrack outside. As far as fit, they are as near perfect fit as you're going to find. All screws lined up, nice snug fit, etc. To trimming needed, and no adapters or anything...just the wire harness plug that was already terminated, so it was a complete plug and play operation.

Honestly, the easiest speaker install I've ever had the pleasure of doing.

I'll take pictures of them installed the next time I'm out there. With the grill covers on, all you see is a bit of shine from the tweeter cones. If it was bothersome to you, I'm sure a piece of fabric could be fit on the inside of the grill to lessen it a bit. As for me, I don't see it...because I don't look at the speakers as I drive. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts