My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an excellent video for alternator issue new to many of us. Apparently the ADP now on our alternators are a wear item requiring replacement. The trick it to get the right one. Simply pulling one off a different vehicle may not work or work right if the engine/year is different because of the ADP specifications. Knowing that a new alternator has the correct ADP is a big problem to determine at this time in my research.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrFcPqZuO3A&feature=related

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shecky: Great for those need mega Amps for the mega stereo amp...

My electrical load is stock and occassional 12V/115 plugged into the built in outlets. I had a look and searched for the alternator removal which I only found one attacking it from underneath the compass. Its pretty crowded and runing another #4 wire to be free and clear of everything there can be very tricky. You definitely want to get that right if someone is going to try it along with the 100amp fuse they show installed.

You can pickup a slightly used alternator on eBay under $100 it seems. Looks like wrecked Compass's and Calibre's. The don't survive front end collisions and written off. Hmmm, I know the whole a/c system is in the courner and one clip and no a/c.

·
Registered
315 Posts
but keep in mind there are 2 different stock alternator options, but i dont know of a way to tell which one is in a compass. could be a part of an option package such as tow packages, the lower one is a 115amp, and i believe the higher one is 140amp.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but keep in mind there are 2 different stock alternator options, but i dont know of a way to tell which one is in a compass. could be a part of an option package such as tow packages, the lower one is a 115amp, and i believe the higher one is 140amp.
Ok, Not sure now either now that you mention that. I have heated seats which will suck a few more amps. My Compass is in at the dealer getting all sorts of parts installed. 2-3 days it will be. I'll see if I can find a build list on it to see.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ok, Not sure now either now that you mention that. I have heated seats which will suck a few more amps. My Compass is in at the dealer getting all sorts of parts installed. 2-3 days it will be. I'll see if I can find a build list on it to see.
when my buddy changed my alternator the mopar one was more expensive and lower amps i think the one i got was aftermarket and it was 140 IIRC

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
when my buddy changed my alternator the mopar one was more expensive and lower amps i think the one i got was aftermarket and it was 140 IIRC
I did find out that day what was built into it. 130 amp and I have heated seats in the North Edition. From what I have heard the alternators themselves are not what fails its the ADP. Having a regular pully would be best for the long term especially concidering the time the re & re it. Also higher electrical loads probably causes the ADP to slip more limiting the amount of output. If I am correct having a high powered audio amp is a bad thing for the alternator wearing out the ADP faster.

Unfortunately special tools are needed to remove it.

For those interested. A replacement ADP for our engine is Gates #37018P. Source infor is http://www.gatesprograms.com/assets/adp/pdfs/ADP_Brochure.pdf

I am wondering if one had the tools if it could be done while still mounted on the vehcile. These aren't cheap and you have to buy the tool kit as well. Oreilly's shows is at $75 however no Canadian source yet. More research is required but their early failure is a concern and difficult alternator removal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts