My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2017 1st Gen Compass has a rough ride! I am going to do the RRO lift and change out the tires. Has anyone had good success with any particular change out of shocks?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi,

"Rough ride" isn't very descriptive. 1st gens ride fairly well IMO. Being a 2017 I'd consider the possibility of a defective suspension bushing causing binding. Try driving at low speed over something like a parking lot speed bump - is the front or rear suspension stiffer that the other? If so a suspension inspection is in order.
Secondly, I'm thinking/guessing that by 'rough ride' you mean harsh response to small impacts such as road imperfections. Because it is a '17, if you haven't already, check that the tire pressures are correct. FCA dealers are crappy; they charge for pre-delivery inspections but don't actually do anything, typically. I've seen new FCA vehicles with harsh ride caused merely by over-pressurized tires.
Third, of course, tires themselves are a big factor. FCA doesn't put on high quality tires except for special models. Some of the tires they use are quite bad IMO. You've mentioned changing tires so you should put some thought into what you choose. Specifically look at load index and tire type ie P-metric or LT.
Fourth, tire size. OEM these vehicles may have 16" to 18" tires. I personally think that for this size and weight of vehicle, this suspension design, and presumably some mild off-road use, 16" are the best choice. If more focused toward off road then 15" are an option. 17" or 18"s would be on-road only IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts