My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Road test: Compass makeover falls short

The many welcome changes to the Jeep Compass for 2011 do not, unfortunately, include the one it needed the most: a quieter drivetrain. That's too bad because except for the diesel-like racket of its engine, which is exacerbated by the transmission, this is an attractive compact four-by-four that rides well, handles capably enough and has what Consumer Reports deems to be average reliability, based on owner experiences.

First introduced in 2007, the Compass shares its basics with the Dodge Caliber, and it begins with front-wheel drive at just under $20,000 with a 2.0-liter, 158-hp. engine and a stick shift. The version I sampled -- and am griping about -- had the 2.4-liter, 172-hp., four-cylinder engine that is in most versions, coupled with the most popular transmission -- a continuously variable, or stepless, automatic and four-wheel drive.

If you can drive a stick -- and are willing to live with one -- you might be happier than I was behind the wheel of a Compass. If there's a Chrysler dealership with which you'd like to do business, so much the better.

Full Article At: http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/c...hort-1.2749221

·
Registered
205 Posts
You are probably the type that likes to "red line" the engine. I must admit that I do it to quite more often than I should. The Jeep Compass is a fun to drive vehicle that has enough power and speed to take on other cars even with bigger engines. I owned other cars before. Three Japanese and one german and I did not find the Jeep to be more noisier than those other cars I owned. The only real complaint that I had with the Compass was the original tires it came with. It was a set of Goodyear Wrangler RSA that after about 45000 miles showed little cracks between the grooves and became very noisy when driven over 40 mph. Now with the Michelins my car can go to 120 with no tire noise or vibrations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts