My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also added an aluminum cargo rack/platform purchased on eBay.60"x 48"x 6"ALUMINUM ROOF RACK CAR/SUV CARGO BAG/LUGGAGE CARRIER BASKET BLACK | eBay
I used Loc-tite on the bolts and covered them with Flexseal. Added 1/2" pipe foam insulation on two of the bottom support rails so it would set on the cross bars without scratches and rattling. The included clamps to mount it onto the cross bars wasn't going to work well so I mounted it to the cross bars with four stainless steel hose/pipe clamps and some scrap rubber I had around. Result was a very solid set-up. I had already removed it to put away in the garage after a road trip when I thought to take some pictures. So it is just sitting on the cross bars in the pictures. I did put one clamp back on for a picture so you can see how I had it mounted.
The rack worked out well and added much room for luggage, etc on a road trip.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Looks good, nice writeup and pictures too. I know its a bit subjective but how is the wind noise with cross bars only and bars + rack?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good, nice writeup and pictures too. I know its a bit subjective but how is the wind noise with cross bars only and bars + rack?
Like you said, it is subjective. When I first put the cross bars on, we drove around for a few days before adding the cargo rack. During those few days we (my wife and I) noticed very little to no wind noise and no whistling even while on the interstate going 70 mph. Zero to mild cross winds those days.

After I added the cargo rack, we drove around with it empty for a day before leaving on a road trip. Once again mild cross winds and a light tailwind. Oddly enough experienced slightly less wind noise ( quieter) than just the cross bars alone. Sounded like air moving over the aluminum alloy platform but higher up from the roof. I think it was amplified some merely because the rack was empty allowing it to resonate.

With the rack fully loaded with luggage, etc. with most of it inside of a roof top weatherproof cargo bag, it definitely created more air turbulence and noise but surprisingly not much more. I think some may have been from the cargo bag and straps moving around in the wind and air. Heavy cross winds and head winds most of the trip.

After returning home from the road trip, I removed the cargo rack and we drove around with just the cross bars for a week before I removed them. During that time we both noticed much more wind noise and whistling. Wide variety of cross winds, head winds, and tailwind experienced during the week. Obviously when experiencing tailwinds the noise was lessened. I thought about wrapping a bungee or rope around them to help quiet it down but decided it was best to just remove them until I needed them again.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
5 Posts
So I JUST installed these roof cross bars and HOLY COW are they NOISY! There’s such a high pitch noise coming from then that I stopped and bought tape and piut that around the piece that connects the bars to the car, it stopped only a little bit of the noise. I’ll be trying a few different tricks like wrapping a bungie around it. Cannot hear it if the windows are closed though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts