My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2008 Jeep Compass North and the wind noise from the Jeep OEM cross rails of my roof rack is driving me crazy!!! I will take into the dealer on Monday, but I would like to know if others have experienced this. I need the roof rack to transport my kayaks in the summer and skis in the winter.

·
Registered
656 Posts
With sun roof open, I get objectionable wind noise with the front bar in the forward position.
With the front bar at the second position I do not notice the wind noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot.
I moved the roof racks to the second position ... and Presto ! NO more wind noise.
The dealers should know this when they prep a new car for delivery .... espcially with the exaggerated preparation and transport charges they levy on us, the consumer.

Regards

·
Registered
656 Posts
Trick Allen Key for the Cross Rails

When you attach the cross rails to the roof rails they are locked in place with a allen key supplied. It has a hole in the end which allows it to fit over a small stud in the bolt hole.
DO NOT LOOSE THIS KEY!
I put mine in some safe place, so safe not even I can find it.
Now I cannot reposition the rails.
I have tried a couple of dealers, the first had to be convinced that the rails were not just locked with the key also used. Then suggested I have a machine shop modify a standard allen key.
The second suggested I (somehow) break off the small stud in the center of the bolt hole. Now how would one go about that???
You would think it would be available by order through the MOPAR system.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sounds like it's a security allen or hex key that you need. They are common and you can pick one up at any good tool store, an entire set should be relitively inexpensive. I picked up an entire set of 100 security bits for about $20.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thank you - so this is not such a unique part!
Will follow up your suggestion.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm surprised that thier shop people wouldn't know what it was, they should be familiar with them. I had a dynasty once and rebuilt the steering column and needed some for in it. Oh well, salesmen what can you do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used to work at a tool store called Cummins Tools, which is now world wide liquidators. They sold the tool as well.. pretty cheap like 15 or 20 bucks in a big set. They are around you just have to find one.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wind noise from the cross bars!!!

I just picked up my 2008 Jeep Compass North and the wind noise from the Jeep OEM cross rails of my roof rack is driving me crazy!!! I will take into the dealer on Monday, but I would like to know if others have experienced this. I need the roof rack to transport my kayaks in the summer and skis in the winter.
Well . . . I found the bit needed to unlock and re-position the cross bars. Truth is that my canoe carries much better with the cross bars at the two extremities. As the bars do not relocate easily now I chose to keep the front bar in the fore-most position, but the wind noise. Is there any solution to eliminate the noise keeping the front bar up front????

·
Registered
656 Posts
Canoe bow and stern tie down

No> there is no place to tie down, front or back.
The canoe rides very secure with the straps that come with the canoe mounting attachments.
I tie the bow and stern lines to the cross bars to prevent any possible movement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rack - OEM

I have just purchased a 2008 compass and I usually haul bikes and kayaks. I read a post on here that gave good info about the oem racks by mopar and I bought and installled them. They were very easy to install and look great. However, I have always used yakima bike holders and yakima doesn't fit with this system. Also, I need a wind fairing and I cannot find one that fits this model. Does anyone know of a fairing or components to work with this system? The wind noise from the racks is very loud.

Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
A wind fairing - anybody have any ideas????

A wind fairing - where oh where to get one.
If you move the bar back to second postition wind noise disappears but I need the bar in front.
If you just hold your hand up through the sunroof with your fingers higher than the bar, the noise diminishes.
Really needs the fairing.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks! Finally somebody has given me a good use for the automatic . . . still . . . I'd rather mix my own gears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received my 2009 Compass. Can someone give me the dimensions for the roof rack cross bars. All of our gear to carry our bikes are from Yakima. I don't want to by the cross bars if I cannot figure a way to put our current bike racks on them.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I had to buy the cross rail from Mopar...........'cause my old bars (Thule) wouldn't fit with this roof structure......and they were asking way too much to convert the bars to this roof type. I bought the cross rails for $200 at the dealer which is not bad ar all.
Thule or Yakima uses the same set up...........and as for your bike rack...........my suggestion is to bring a portion of it at the dealer and check if it's compatible.

My 2 cents........

·
Registered
9 Posts
whistling roof racks

Seems we share this problem.
I am surprised that MOPAR has no solution, it is not a difficult fix, Thule and Yakima both offer a wind fairing. Has anybody asked their dealer about this??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roof Racks - Yakima / Thule

Hey Razab,

I have done a lot of research and visits to yakima/thule dealers trying to get a fit for my old yakima bike racks/kayak/canoe parts. Basically I have found out that nothing works to use my old stuff. The only solution that I found from a yakima dealer was to purchase the load warrior and then you could use all of your old yakima parts (except you would still have to purchase the mopar sport utility bars) Yakima does not have a fit or offer Q-clips to make your yakima bars work. What I have decided is to: I have already bought and installed the sport utility bars (looks good). I also just ordered the bike and kayak mopar carriers from jparts (cheapest I have found but slow shipping because they get it from the manuf.). Anyway, I decided that the yakima load warrior would look cool but would kill my gas mileage and would still cost me more than buying the mopar parts. My biggest problem now is that I realllllllly need a wind fairing even though I moved the rack back to the second position I think it affects gas mileage without it.

Hope this helps. Jeep needs to come up with solutions as well as yakima/thule.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts