My Jeep Compass Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone found third party cross rails that will work? I just installed the side rails and they look great. The cross rails are expensive! Was hoping to find a good third party option.
How do the rails mount? I want to take mine off to hide some wires. I don't want to just start pulling and breaking plastic.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mopar part # 82214657 Roof Rails, Black, same as production suggested retail $ 205.00
Mopar part # 82214656 Roof Rails, Bright, same as production suggested retail $ 205.00
Mopar part # 82214658AB Roof Rack, Crossrails, Black suggested retail $ 225.00

Thanks for the part numbers. I ordered the Roof Rack from https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/ and they were a perfect fit. They look great too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i just bought these crossbars and am wondering if the little rubber strip on the bottom is the only thing that stops the bars from sliding? I cant figure out how to make it lock so it doesnt slide around

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 compass sport that needs roof rails. All I currently have are the black rubber gap fill strips where the roof rails would be. Will the roof rail and parts reccomended for the 2017 work on my 2018?

My VIN: 3c4njdab5jt213363

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed the MOPAR roof rack cross rails (part no. 82214658AB), but screwed up cutting the channel strips that are inserted into the bottom of the rails to prevent the flow noise when I drive. For the life of me, I can not find a new channel strip and the Jeep dealer near me was no help (said they only sell the whole package and wouldn't know how to get just the strips).

Anyone have any suggestions where I could find new material? Or a suitable/easy alternative?

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I installed the MOPAR roof rack cross rails (part no. 82214658AB), but screwed up cutting the channel strips that are inserted into the bottom of the rails to prevent the flow noise when I drive. For the life of me, I can not find a new channel strip and the Jeep dealer near me was no help (said they only sell the whole package and wouldn't know how to get just the strips).

Anyone have any suggestions where I could find new material? Or a suitable/easy alternative?
Thule makes the Jeep roof rack. Part number below. I did the same thing as you when installing the cross bars and ordered a few extra since shipping is more than the part.

Cover Strip Lower 360 AEROBAR Model number: 8524498001

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2018 Compass that has no roof rails like the original poster. I'm planning to purchase the mopar rails (82214657) and then potentially the cross rails (82214658AB) which i hear are Thule bars with Jeep branding. I might get something else though since options open up once I have the side rails. My question is whether the side rails come with installation instructions or if someone here has a link to install. Does the rubber come up from the rain gutter easily? Take the whole thing out or does it have to be cut, re-used for a short portion? I assume the nuts are already present in the roof under that rubber?

·
Registered
2011 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
1 Posts
I made a set of crossbars for my 2011 compass. I made brackets from 2x2 angle (I used aluminum). I cut them 4 inches. I drilled holes 3 inches on center for the factory rails. There was a slight pitch in the hole alignment ( 3/8 from bottom vs 5/8 from bottom) so I made a template using thick card stock. The bolts for the factory rail are m6x30 ( you can go shorter). I used a #7 drill bit to punch the holes in the aluminum brackets. I also drilled 2 holes 1 inch on centers for the cross bars. I had to bend the brackets to get the cross bars to lay flat. I had a vise which I put on the ground and clamped the angle about 3/4 inches up and used my 235 lbs of human hydraulics to get each bracket from 90 degrees to about 70 degrees. I ground and sanded the angle iron to my liking - cleaned, etched and coated in spray paint ( I used krylon fusion). I used tnutz 1020 (1”x2”) extrusion for the crossbars. I ordered 48.25” length to allow for 4x8 sheet goods. I got 5 runs of the 4 foot 1x2extrusions to allow for 3 cross bars and 2 side rails. I laid the crossbars flat - 2 inches wide by 1 inch tall, while the side rails stand 2 inches tall. My main goal was to have something to strap my kayak to as well as carry building materials. With materials and connectors I am in about $150 including shipping. I think I have one of the more versatile racks out there (similar to a prinsu). I am thinking about building an
awning. I will post if that comes to fruition.
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to be building a custom low profile rack with flush mount lights and light bar on front. Will post pictures when I finish it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts