My Jeep Compass Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

My Thule aeroblade cross bars (rated at 165 lbs) are arriving today. But I'm having a difficult time finding a proper roof top tent. I nearly went with Yakima but the reviews at REI scared me away. The Front Runner is an obvious choice but they dont make a rack for the Compass. Any ideas? I plan on taking it on/off every weekend. So the annoying nuts, bots, torque wrench, bloody knuckles.. i would prefer to avoid. Yakima had a fancy attachment system that i really liked, but the tent does not appear to be waterproof.

Thanks,

Brian

EDIT: Went with Smittybuilt. Video Below:
Brian,

After two years have you had any weight issues with this? I am looking into buying one.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
did anybody else mount an RTT on the Compass? Any weight problems?
See what I mean, @ElectricHawk? Sometimes people make a post that they got a RTT like this and then we never hear from them again. No update on his youtube channel, no questions in his video's comments answered... nothing.

You have to wonder if it ends up not working out for them and they don't use it. I really hope you will come back and share some real world experience of the good and the bad once you get your tent and try it out.

We just finished a 1000 mile skiing trip in our Cherokee but we had that 16 cubic foot "Large" size Thule Force box on the roof of the Cherokee and we saw an average fuel economy drop of 25%. We loose that much economy with it on our Compass too, but the V6 Cherokee can actually pull with the extra drag without shifting constantly whereas our Compass can't maintain highway speed and find a good gear to stay in and requires continual manual autostick management down to 5th gear. Sometimes you can use 6th in the Compass if going slightly downhill. The V6 Cherokee had the torque to pull the extra drag on the roof at high speed and still uses 8th gear, only shifting to 7th on occaision for moderate hills.

For the same fuel economy penalty I can take my homemade "adventure trailer" and have 4x more cargo space. I still have to do autostick in the Compass but at least I'm getting a ton of extra cargo room for my effort.

Despite how skeptical and critically I may write of them, I am actually interested in getting my own RTT. But for us it would not likely ever travel on the roof of our Compass. It might travel on the roof of our Cherokee. But for our Compass it would go on the roof rack of our trailer and even with our Cherokee depending on the trip I would rather go the trailer route than load stuff on the roof whenever possible. We travel with a lot of gear sometimes though.

Our tent is the main thing we put in the Thule cargo box so swapping the Thule for a RTT would not be much of a stretch for us. I think we are far more comfortable in our large tent though, we have a 14' L x 9' W x 6' H "instant" tent with permanently attached poles that goes up in about 5 minutes, 10 with rainfly and staking and 5 more to set up the double height air mattress. It would be hard to convince my wife to exchange that huge tent for a small RTT 😁

·
Registered
26 Posts
No update on his youtube channel, no questions in his video's comments answered... nothing.
Let's hope his RTT did not crush him, it would be great if he (or somebody else with an RTT on the Compass) could show us a sign of life.

I really hope you will come back and share some real world experience of the good and the bad once you get your tent and try it out.
I will definitely do this - if driving behaviour, fuel econony etc. suffer too much, I will sell the tent again. Currently, you wait 2-3 months for the good tents (that do not ship from China) therefore, they don't loose that much value.
Unfortunately, we do not also have a Cherokee next to our Compass in the garage.

btw. I am still unsure whether the Thule rails or Rocky Road is better: The last time, I wrote here, I was quite sure, Thule is better, since 3 crossbars will use 6 fixation points while The Rocky Rack is only fixed to 4. However, the Thule rack is a multi=component system. Yakima e.g. discourages from using systems such as Q-Towers or Baseline (although they sell them) for roof tents.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I am still unsure whether the Thule rails or Rocky Road is better: The last time, I wrote here, I was quite sure, Thule is better, since 3 crossbars will use 6 fixation points while The Rocky Rack is only fixed to 4. However, the Thule rack is a multi=component system.
Seems like it will work either way. Either you have 4 really good all metal fix points or 6 fix points that are potentially weaker but more of them to spread the load. I think I'd prefer the Rocky Road myself.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts