My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an owner of a 2007 Jeep Compass and yesterday myself and grandkids were traveling 55 mph and all of a sudden the car was shaking and all of a sudden the steering pulled to left putting me at a 180 facing the opposite way in the middle of oncoming traffic I put my hazards on and drove safely at 5 mph off of the highway. I had mechanic come look at it and he pointed out that my sub frame had rotted and was holding on by a thread. The Jeep only has 60000 miles on it and I did some research and had found there was a safety recall but by reading hundreds of posts nothing can be done. So I seen this site and thought I would just put a feeler out to see if there is anything I can do about this

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am an owner of a 2007 Jeep Compass and yesterday myself and grandkids were traveling 55 mph and all of a sudden the car was shaking and all of a sudden the steering pulled to left putting me at a 180 facing the opposite way in the middle of oncoming traffic I put my hazards on and drove safely at 5 mph off of the highway. I had mechanic come look at it and he pointed out that my sub frame had rotted and was holding on by a thread. The Jeep only has 60000 miles on it and I did some research and had found there was a safety recall but by reading hundreds of posts nothing can be done. So I seen this site and thought I would just put a feeler out to see if there is anything I can do about this
Hi Jennifer,

There was not a recall for the crossmembers, rather there was an extended warranty. We are happy to look into this further for you, feel free to send us a private message with your VIN.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
Jennifer--

JeepCares can do more for you than anyone else on this site, so I defer to them. The warranty extension was for the original owner and for 10 years. Maybe JeepCares can get you a special dispensation.

Some, not all, of the early years of the Compass/Patriot had this premature rust problem. From what I can see it was because the a/c drain was routed so it dripped condensation onto the frame.

As you may know, the Jeep Patriot and Compass are siblings -- built on the same platform using the same drive train. Take a look at these photos on the Jeep Patriot website. Go to posts #158 and #161 in this thread: Subframe and crossmember warranty / recall? This guy did a nice job of photographing the problem.

Your rust didn't start this morning. Whoever did your last state inspection missed a pretty serious problem!

BTW, I had an '08 Patriot that racked up 10 winters and 250,000 miles, all in northern New England where snow and road salt are around from Labor Day to Memorial Day. Mine was rock solid, so whoever built mine got it right.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Have the same issue... But Jeep tells me they can't help because the 10 yr. extended warranty is over.. BUBER!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shocking how jeep knew this was a serious issue yet did nothing the front sub frame in my 2011 jeep is totally rusted . I had to have it welded three years ago no mention of recall or issue . it fail check last week replacing parts the mechanic has said it is so rotted near suspension bolts it needs totally replaced. So i came on internet to see they knew they had a corrosion issue with these parts leaving them dangerous for being on the road.

Shocking such a great brand will not put customers safety first. I have owned this jeep since 2012 not once was this brought to my attention in the UK but it seems if you are in another country it would have been.

Sub standard parts just like the water pump and they wanted £950 reduced to £600 to sort. My first and most likely last jeep I will buy.

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
Shocking how jeep knew this was a serious issue yet did nothing the front sub frame in my 2011 jeep is totally rusted . I had to have it welded three years ago no mention of recall or issue . it fail check last week replacing parts the mechanic has said it is so rotted near suspension bolts it needs totally replaced. So i came on internet to see they knew they had a corrosion issue with these parts leaving them dangerous for being on the road.

Shocking such a great brand will not put customers safety first. I have owned this jeep since 2012 not once was this brought to my attention in the UK but it seems if you are in another country it would have been.

Sub standard parts just like the water pump and they wanted £950 reduced to £600 to sort. My first and most likely last jeep I will buy.
I suppose their defense is that things rust after awhile anyway. That plus the obvious that they are doing all they can to increase fuel economy so metal gets thinner wherever they can do it in order to reduce weight. If Jeep won't help, maybe a complaint to the MOT will get some action. No, one complaint wouldn't do much but if hundreds of people from all over the country deluge them with complaints, they might force a recall. In the US Jeep issued an extension on the warranty to 10 years for frame rust. There were certain conditions, e.g., you had to be the original owner and live in the so-called rust-belt states where we fight snow and ice with road salt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry jeep sell very few vehicles in UK compared to most makes.
There is no excuse for knowing there was a dangerous risk of subframe crumbling. Especially when the sub frame hold the suspension arm brakes in place.

They clearly knew this was a major problem. I have an 18 year old BMW no rust and a 21 year old citeron van no rust.
I accept metal can rust over time but this normally takes a very long time. I wish I checked three years ago when I got bits welded.
Uk is well know for rain. Jeep should be held to account for the lack of concern and safety of their customers.

Only by luck did this not give way while driving . It could easily caused major injuries if going along at speed lossing control of steering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is no excuse for knowing there was a dangerous risk of subframe crumbling. Especially when the sub frame hold the suspension arm brakes in place.

They clearly knew this was a major problem. I have an 18 year old BMW no rust and a 21 year old citeron van no rust.
I accept metal can rust over time but this normally takes a very long time. I wish I checked three years ago when I got bits welded.
Uk is well know for rain. Jeep should be held to account for the lack of concern and safety of their customers.

Only by luck did this not give way while driving . It could easily caused major injuries if going along at speed lossing control of steering.

Going to have my cross member replaced in Nov. Hope it last that long.. Jeep should have made this issue a RECALL................

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
Going to have my cross member replaced in Nov. Hope it last that long.. Jeep should have made this issue a RECALL................
That could happen, so save your receipt. My old Wrangler had a failed e-brake -- it rolled down a hill and into the brush with only minor damage. I got it fixed at an independent shop. Later when there was a recall I was reimbursed by Jeep.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm coming up on 100,000 miles on my 2009 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited.. My gift to my Compass will be to replace the cross member in November........ Thanks it lasted this long.. SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL!!!

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
completely rotted and snapped front subframe passenger side, 2013 Jeep Compass Latitude in Ohio. estimate repair $1500 and no offer of assistance from manufacturer. good times, gooooooood times
Welcome to the site! :)
Sorry about what brought you here. :(

Not all GS platform vehicles have had the rust problem, but enough have that Jeep extended the warranty to 10 years on some model years. I don't know if yours is covered, but I suggest you do some investigating. Reach out to @JeepCares on this site. They may be able to help.

Even if not, KEEP THOSE RECEIPTS! If there is an extension for yours, you may get reimbursed. Jeep reimbursed me for a bad e-brake on my old Wrangler -- I'd paid for the repair at a local shop. When I got the recall notice it included instructions for requesting reimbursement if I'd already had the repair done.

GM was not as cooperative. When my Saturn had the famed ignition switch problem, I paid out of pocket for the repair at a GM dealer. However, the dealer replaced my switch with the same old style defective switch and the recall was to replace the old style switch with the new one, so no-go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No help from Jeep of Canada. Now i have to pay out of pocket for a repair that should be a recall. Couldn't even tell me if there is any ongoing investigation into the issue, wow Thanks Jeep you really care a lot don't you

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
No help from Jeep of Canada. Now i have to pay out of pocket for a repair that should be a recall. Couldn't even tell me if there is any ongoing investigation into the issue, wow Thanks Jeep you really care a lot don't you
Keep your receipts! See post #13 above. If there is ever a recall you may get reimbursed.

While I've not had the problem myself, I've seen prices in the US$1,400 range. Post #12 above said $1500. Probably depends on the shop and how much work is needed. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new vehicle, especially in this present market. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep your receipts! See post #13 above. If there is ever a recall you may get reimbursed.

While I've not had the problem myself, I've seen prices in the US$1,400 range. Post #12 above said $1500. Probably depends on the shop and how much work is needed. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new vehicle, especially in this present market. Please keep us posted.
not sure exactly how much it's going to cost yet, but i have been told it could be around $2000 (Canadian)

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
not sure exactly how much it's going to cost yet, but i have been told it could be around $2000 (Canadian)
Everything's a bit higher these days. I don't know if the US policies are affecting the Canadian economy, but being neighbors it wouldn't surprise me. It's hard to get stuff here, and when we can, it costs more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts