My Jeep Compass Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Everything's a bit higher these days. I don't know if the US policies are affecting the Canadian economy, but being neighbors it wouldn't surprise me. It's hard to get stuff here, and when we can, it costs more.
i cant even find the part number so i can properly search for how much i can get one for

·
Registered
4 Posts
completely rotted and snapped front subframe passenger side, 2013 Jeep Compass Latitude in Ohio. estimate repair $1500 and no offer of assistance from manufacturer. good times, gooooooood times
ours is 2011 Jeep Compass. The sub frame snapped yesterday (driver side) here in Whistler, BC. We had no idea it was about to happen. The dealership we bought the car from never warn us about the subframe issue. We always go there for oil change and other maintenance service, and never once told about the rotted out subframe. Unreal

·
Administrator
2,061 Posts
ours is 2011 Jeep Compass. The sub frame snapped yesterday (driver side) here in Whistler, BC. We had no idea it was about to happen. The dealership we bought the car from never warn us about the subframe issue. We always go there for oil change and other maintenance service, and never once told about the rotted out subframe. Unreal
My dealer always does a courtesy inspection whenever it's in for any service. I figure they want to find problems because they want the business. I would think your dealer would too. Crazy not to. They are risking their reputation and passing up business at the same time.

·
Administrator
2,061 Posts
PS, all may not be lost. I've seen prices on here in the $1400 range for frame repair. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than buying anything else, especially as the market is right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer always does a courtesy inspection whenever it's in for any service. I figure they want to find problems because they want the business. I would think your dealer would too. Crazy not to. They are risking their reputation and passing up business at the same time.
They went under my car to put a new transmission in January 2020. there’s no way they didn’t see or noticed that rotted out frame.

·
Administrator
2,061 Posts
They went under my car to put a new transmission in January 2020. there’s no way they didn’t see or noticed that rotted out frame.
That is how dealers lose reputation and customers. Worst part is at that time you probably would have been covered under the extended warranty. Maybe not in Canada, but the US division extended the warranty to 10 years for rust. You might see if Canada's Transportation Authority has any policy or action that may help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is how dealers lose reputation and customers. Worst part is at that time you probably would have been covered under the extended warranty. Maybe not in Canada, but the US division extended the warranty to 10 years for rust. You might see if Canada's Transportation Authority has any policy or action that may help you.
I’ll look that up. Yeah I’ll never buy jeep again. Thank you

·
Administrator
2,061 Posts
I’ll look that up. Yeah I’ll never buy jeep again. Thank you
I said that after my '93 Cherokee. Then my Wife bought a couple Wranglers that were fine. Then our dealer dropped their Pontiac franchise and I stayed with the dealer and I bought my 2008 Patriot that turned out to be marvelous (300,000 miles) and another Patriot in 2014 (now at 170,000 miles), and then my Compass in 2018 that was promptly wrecked and replaced with a 2019. So far so good. Lemons happen. Most Compasses haven't had the frame failures, but some have.

IMO, companies need to do a better job of extending warranty coverage in exceptional cases. GM dodged the warranty on my Dad's '66 Chevy. He bought 1/2 dozen more cars in his life, but never another GM product. Meanwhile he steered me onto an AMC and three Plymouths. GM would have done better to take my Dad's car back and give him full value toward a new one. These companies have a million customers and they really don't care about a few thousand customers with rusty frames. That's where the local dealer really ought to step in. Unless they're a big city dealer, they need to take care of the customers they've got.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I said that after my '93 Cherokee. Then my Wife bought a couple Wranglers that were fine. Then our dealer dropped their Pontiac franchise and I stayed with the dealer and I bought my 2008 Patriot that turned out to be marvelous (300,000 miles) and another Patriot in 2014 (now at 170,000 miles), and then my Compass in 2018 that was promptly wrecked and replaced with a 2019. So far so good. Lemons happen. Most Compasses haven't had the frame failures, but some have.

IMO, companies need to do a better job of extending warranty coverage in exceptional cases. GM dodged the warranty on my Dad's '66 Chevy. He bought 1/2 dozen more cars in his life, but never another GM product. Meanwhile he steered me onto an AMC and three Plymouths. GM would have done better to take my Dad's car back and give him full value toward a new one. These companies have a million customers and they really don't care about a few thousand customers with rusty frames. That's where the local dealer really ought to step in. Unless they're a big city dealer, they need to take care of the customers they've got.
Yeah this was my first jeep and my last. Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you try asking a dealer?
i got word back yesterday about my rear cross member on my 3013 Jeep compass that cracked off. my dealership took pictures and sent then to their general manager and got both the rear and front cross members covered parts and labor. i just have to cover the rest of the parts that might need to be replaced. was told it averages out at about 600-700 Canadian + tax

·
Administrator
2,061 Posts
Hooray! That is very good news. Looks to me like the General Manager wants to keep you for a customer.

As for the other repairs, that is also a blessing because you are probably only paying for parts. The corp is already paying the labor to take it apart and put it together again.

Be sure to bring a box of donuts when you pick up your Compass!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2011 Jeep Compass from my dad a few months ago. After having the Jeep for a few weeks it started rattling. It got worse and I took it to a mechanic and they told me that my subframe has rusted through. My dad purchased the extended warranty and the dealership sent the notice to the wrong person so we did not know about this issue. The cost for repairs is currently over $1600 and may increase as they have to remove parts. Since the warranty was not sent to the correct person/address, is there anything that can be done at this point? I am debating getting legal counsel.

·
Administrator
2,061 Posts
I purchased a 2011 Jeep Compass from my dad a few months ago. After having the Jeep for a few weeks it started rattling. It got worse and I took it to a mechanic and they told me that my subframe has rusted through. My dad purchased the extended warranty and the dealership sent the notice to the wrong person so we did not know about this issue. The cost for repairs is currently over $1600 and may increase as they have to remove parts. Since the warranty was not sent to the correct person/address, is there anything that can be done at this point? I am debating getting legal counsel.
You might reach out to @JeepCares on this website. I've flagged them with the mention in this thread. They will need your VIN for sure, and maybe some other info about the warranty. Jeep voluntarily extended the rust warranty to 10 years, so you may be out of luck on that.

I have no idea about the warranty your father purchased; that may still be in force. If the dealership wasn't informed of the change of ownership, they'd have no way of knowing. It was kind of them to even send a notice at all. If you approach the dealer in a friendly way they might go part way with you. Twice GM has covered the cost of the parts on blown trannies that were out of warranty -- I only had to pay labor, and that cut the bill by about 50%. A good dealer may go to bat with the corp on your behalf. If you approach them all in a rage, they'll probably tell you to get a lawyer knowing it won't get you anywhere. Considering this problem is shared by other vehicles using the MK platform (Dodge Caliber, Jeep Patriot, Jeep Compass), I'm sure other owners have tried the legal route. Unless the NTSB forces a recall, you're probably OOL. However, save your receipts! The e-brake on my old Wrangler failed and I paid a local shop to fix it. Later Jeep issued a recall for the e-brake and they reimbursed me in full, even though the work hadn't been done at one of their franchised dealers. :)

If you have any hope, @JeepCares might be it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts