My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first jeep, so maybe my question is moot :)

Anyway, I have a fairly new Grand Caravan and it rides pretty smoothly. That's actually my wife's car. My Compass though feels pretty rough. Every time I go through some bumps or anything like that it feels as if the shocks are not very good. Is it expected or maybe they are wearing out? Car has about 28000 miles.

Other than that I actually feel more comfortable on it than driving the big caravan.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
One of the big issue that might influence your ride is .......the tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think a good thing to remember, is its still a jeep. Jeep's arent really known for Cadillac comfort over bumps. You may want to try some aftermarket shocks/struts or some stiffer springs. This should reduce some of the roughness of the road. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think my tires are Firestone 18" all season tires. Not sure if they're the original ones though, probably not.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I've heard some issues with the OEM Firestone all season tires.....look at other threads ....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in Texas, so I don't have much experience with the all season tires. Im assuming if they are rated for snow, that the tread is going to be a bit deeper, which would cause some vibration from the tires.

·
Registered
169 Posts
All seasons are just that, all season. Thye do well on dry pavement, wet pavement, snow (and in some cases) ice.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I think a good thing to remember, is its still a jeep. Jeep's arent really known for Cadillac comfort over bumps. You may want to try some aftermarket shocks/struts or some stiffer springs. This should reduce some of the roughness of the road. :)
Very true, my Cherokee sure isn't very forgiving, not on Louisiana roads, lol, but good advice there! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
656 Posts
All seasons

I live in Texas, so I don't have much experience with the all season tires. Im assuming if they are rated for snow, that the tread is going to be a bit deeper, which would cause some vibration from the tires.
Basically: all tires we use today, unless marked as "snow tires" or M&S" are "All Season" tires.
"Summer" tires, are usually high performance rated tires.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The tires are the biggest source of ride harshness. When I got my Jeep, it came with Goodyear Wrangler SRA. In my experience this tire was a big disapointment. It was very noisy and very harsh. At about 45000 miles they started to make a loud droning noise.
I thought about replacing them with the Goodyear Assurance but I decided to get the Michelin Hydroedge instead. I'm glad I did. This is a very good tire. Very quiet and perfect for bad weather driving. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Stock tires by Firestone are very noisy on some pavement and much quieter on others for some reason. Since I put my Nokian's on that has never been a problem. The Firestone threads look hardly phased. I'll sell them in the summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts