My Jeep Compass Forum banner

screen 8.4 issues

16K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  emack814 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!

My 2017 jeep compass limited that has uconnect 4c with 8.4 display surprised me. The screen started delamination issues. (I suppose because of hot summer weather)

After web searching I understood that it is a common problem for uconnect and lot of Chrysler/uconnect owners faced it.

As I'm out of warranty, so I suppose the best option is to replace lcd monitor. Maybe anyone knows the correct part number?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello!

My 2017 jeep compass limited that has uconnect 4c with 8.4 display surprised me. The screen started delamination issues. (I suppose because of hot summer weather)

After web searching I understood that it is a common problem for uconnect and lot of Chrysler/uconnect owners faced it.

As I'm out of warranty, so I suppose the best option is to replace lcd monitor. Maybe anyone no the correct part number?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
JeepCares

#5 ·
Please know that our team is available via private message for additional support during any dealer service. We are happy to help.

Kathryn
JeepCares

#7 ·
I just joined the forum. My wife bought a 2017 compass trailhawk, and the infotainment system went haywire, and the screen is delaminating. It only has 23000 miles and is garaged. I went to my dealer and now have to pay 1,100.00 to have it replaced. I also found out it is a recoditioned one from the factory, as a new one is double the price. I am filing a complaint with Chrysler as well with my attorney against the manufacturer. I wanted the old part back but was told there is a core charge of 1,000.

#8 ·
I bought a 2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk. The start/stop feature has malfunctioned several times since I bought it 2 years ago. Today the start/stop once again malfunctioned and killed the car. When I restarted, the uconnect screen won't even turn on. I'm really wondering if I bought a lemon.

#11 · (Edited)
Well, just got back from inquiring about this issue (touch screen coming apart, changing stations when it wants to) in my 2018 Trailhawk. Was told no warranty on it (didn't open any sort of claim or anything) and price was more than I can justify. Might be first time in over 30 years I might not own a Jeep.

#13 ·
Hi Tag1260,
We understand the frustration. Feel free to send us a PM with your VIN, we'd be happy to look into this for you.

Sarah
Jeep Cares

#12 ·
So you got a 5yr old car with a part that's out of warranty by time/mileage and you want to give up on the brand for not giving you a new one for free?? Entitled much?
iIs a car things will wear out/fail at some point no matter the Mfg. Replace the radio either with a new/used one or go aftermarket replacement and enjoy the ride.... SMH my head

#14 ·
Hi have exactly the same issue with my Jeep Compass 2017. Delaminated screen, glue dropping between the touch screen panel and the LCD and ghost touches everywhere. As it is out of warranty I removed all the glue but the lcd seems to be broken, possibly because of the pressure that the glue made between the touch screen and the LCD. So now i'm searching only for the LCD component (or a compatible one) because everything else works fine. Can someone help me please? Thanks

#15 ·
Hi Alex77,

Our team is happy to take a look into your concerns with you. Feel welcome to send us a private message with more information about your vehicle, including your VIN and current mileage, for further assistance.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#17 ·
These head units in the Jeeps are low quality. My screen was distorted one day out of the blue in my 2018. The audio system still worked, but the screen was showing distortion instead of a clear display. Even the back-up display was showing distortion. I bought the Mopar extended warranty for it, and I spent $1 US dollar for the dealership to replace it with a new head unit. I only had 38,000 miles on my Compass when the head unit went bad. Jeeps have traditionally been known for having electrical device issues. This was my reason for buying the Mopar warranty.

#20 ·
Same issue here started AGAIN on my 2018 Compass Latitude. Only 30k miles on it…. Screen randomly all striped, distorted and unusable. Started up again in the middle of a roadtrip when I actually needed the GPS from my phone. Have had recurring issues since I bought it new with the CarPlay dropping everytime I use the AC. Was told while it was still under warranty that it was just a software update. Nope. Dealership just gave me the runaround and rode out my warranty and didn’t fix it. Screen had randomly striped out on me a couple years ago for a few months, but I think that one was also the same update as my backup camera often freezing up ? It’s hard to remember at this point this car has had so many random issues with it from the very beginning. I’ve had it randomly lock up and stall on a couple occasions. Door seals were leaking and had to be replaced. Windshield wiper broke off while driving in the snow and cracked my windshield. And of course the super sketchy oil consumption issue that seems to have been settled by a class action lawsuit. Maybe this UConnect hazard is their next Class Action since they don’t take responsibility for their mistakes.
Seems a lot of people are even paying to have the whole unit replaced and still having the same issue - this hazard is and has been occurring across all FCA brands with the same UConnect Infotainment system for a few years now and FCA hasn’t even addressed the issue. I just for something in the mail a couple weeks ago about the settlement amount for the oil consumption.
note to self : never buy anything FCA again.
I fell in love with this car when It first came out, hopefully I’ll at least be able to reliably access the heated seats and steering wheel controls this winter that I paid extra for.

#21 ·
Same issue here started AGAIN on my 2018 Compass Latitude. Only 30k miles on it…. Screen randomly all striped, distorted and unusable. Started up again in the middle of a roadtrip when I actually needed the GPS from my phone. Have had recurring issues since I bought it new with the CarPlay dropping everytime I use the AC. Was told while it was still under warranty that it was just a software update. Nope. Dealership just gave me the runaround and rode out my warranty and didn’t fix it. Screen had randomly striped out on me a couple years ago for a few months, but I think that one was also the same update as my backup camera often freezing up ? It’s hard to remember at this point this car has had so many random issues with it from the very beginning. I’ve had it randomly lock up and stall on a couple occasions. Door seals were leaking and had to be replaced. Windshield wiper broke off while driving in the snow and cracked my windshield. And of course the super sketchy oil consumption issue that seems to have been settled by a class action lawsuit. Maybe this UConnect hazard is their next Class Action since they don’t take responsibility for their mistakes.
Seems a lot of people are even paying to have the whole unit replaced and still having the same issue - this hazard is and has been occurring across all FCA brands with the same UConnect Infotainment system for a few years now and FCA hasn’t even addressed the issue. I just for something in the mail a couple weeks ago about the settlement amount for the oil consumption.
note to self : never buy anything FCA again.
I fell in love with this car when It first came out, hopefully I’ll at least be able to reliably access the heated seats and steering wheel controls this winter that I paid extra for.
We'd be happy to look into any additional information related to your concerns, Roland. Feel free to message us with your VIN to discuss further.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#25 ·
Hi DarlingNik,

We can certainly take a further look into this for you as well. Our team is available to discuss your screen concerns via private message.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#28 ·
Hello barhoc11,

I'm sorry this is happening with you as well. You are welcome to send us a PM with your VIN and current mileage, and we can search further into your vehicle information for you.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#31 ·
Been trying to help my cousin with this for awhile found this site and signed up just to post.

My cousin is disabled and it isn't easy for her to get around also living in a small town I've taken her to 4 different dealerships in 3 different cities, same result no help and she's been treated like crap by 2 of the dealerships after dumping a ton of money into it at what was originally her main go-to dealer...

Even when trying to speak about customizing a new jeep to her liking sales rep doesn't even answer her instead responds to myself or her husband and completely dismisses her.

Seems like it's a never ending cycle of hurdles to something that was defective from the start in my opinion.

#32 ·
We're sorry to hear this is happening, Rondo! Please be sure to contact our Jeep Canada team for further assistance at 800-465-2001.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#33 ·
Same problem with my Compass MY18.

Screen delaminated with air or liquid "bubble" in the upper area.

Does not look nice. but I could've lived with that. Since last Monday ghost touches all over the screen.

The only option my dealer could offer is to install a replacement unit for about 2k€.

I can't say I'm impressed with the way Jeep is pushing what is clearly a serial defect to customers and dealers.

However, Stellantis generally seems to leave customers and dealers alike out in the cold.

I guess the next car will come from Korea or China. 🤷‍♂️

#34 ·
Same problem with my Compass MY18.

Screen delaminated with air or liquid "bubble" in the upper area.

Does not look nice. but I could've lived with that. Since last Monday ghost touches all over the screen.

The only option my dealer could offer is to install a replacement unit for about 2k€.

I can't say I'm impressed with the way Jeep is pushing what is clearly a serial defect to customers and dealers.

However, Stellantis generally seems to leave customers and dealers alike out in the cold.

I guess the next car will come from Korea or China. 🤷‍♂️
Hi ChrisStg,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way! Our team assists customers within the US market, but you are more than welcome to contact your Jeep regional office at 00 800 0 426 5337 or by webform to look into available options to best assist you.

Steph
Jeep Cares